Choice between..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newpedals

Between the following 2 bikes which one would you choose and why?

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/3...active-hybrid-bike-2020-blackcharcoalblk.aspx

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/329721/products/trek-fx-2-disc-hybrid-bike-2020-alpine-blue.aspx

Would appreciate your knowledge as to why one might have the edge concerning built quality/ features etc.
Will be using it for fitness and commuting. This price point is the top of my budget, so please no suggestions as to spending a bit more money. Thank you.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Have you looked at decathlon's offerings ?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Of those two, the Trek, just because it's not a Specialized. I have a Trek similar to that one although it's about 10 years old now.

I'd also consider the Cannondale Quick 6 and the Giant Escape 3, I've got one of the latter and I really like it.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Trek because it’s a gorgeous colour (and not black) :okay:
It also has disc brakes which are a benefit for all weather commuting, it terms of stopping and rim wear.
The Tourney spec on the Specialized is also right at the entry level. Treks parts are higher up the Shimano tree

However you need to try them for size and fit

Last edited:
OP
OP
newpedals

newpedals

Of those two, the Trek, just because it's not a Specialized. I have a Trek similar to that one although it's about 10 years old now.

I'd also consider the Cannondale Quick 6 and the Giant Escape 3, I've got one of the latter and I really like it.
Thank you kindly for your advice :smile:

OP
OP
newpedals

newpedals

The Trek because it’s a gorgeous colour (and not black) :okay:
It also has disc brakes which are a benefit for all weather commuting, it terms of stopping and rim wear.
The Tourney spec on the Specialized is also right at the entry level

However you need to try them for size and fit
Thank you very much.
:smile:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
The Trek comes Duotrap enabled. if you have an ant+ enabled phone you can get a kit for the bike to help you track your speed, performance etc. It may help your fitness goal. See if they’ll do you a deal.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you paying cash for the bike? Ask for a discount, I'm sure most retailers will be willing to have a conversation given the current situation. 10% should be easy to negotiate.

If they won't, try another Trek dealer - I believe they can now be sent mail order, in the past, you had to collect Trek bikes in store, but don't quote me!

Sharky

Guru
If going to be used for commuting - think about luggage, lighting and the weather. Check what fixings you have on the bike to take a luggage rack and mudguards. This could bump up the price you have on your budget, but will be worth including.

Agree with others that the Trek looks like the better option, although the Blue is the wrong shade of Red for me (as an ex Merseysider).

OP
OP
newpedals

newpedals

If going to be used for commuting - think about luggage, lighting and the weather. Check what fixings you have on the bike to take a luggage rack and mudguards. This could bump up the price you have on your budget, but will be worth including.

Agree with others that the Trek looks like the better option, although the Blue is the wrong shade of Red for me (as an ex Merseysider).
I wear a light backpack to carry everything in and those extras like lights and mudguards will be added in time. They are separate from my bike budget :smile:.....I also agree with your assessment of the colour .....maybe a paint job and a small Liver bird sticker will do the trick xD. Thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
newpedals

newpedals

Are you paying cash for the bike? Ask for a discount, I'm sure most retailers will be willing to have a conversation given the current situation. 10% should be easy to negotiate.

If they won't, try another Trek dealer - I believe they can now be sent mail order, in the past, you had to collect Trek bikes in store, but don't quote me!
Will be paying cash yes. I wouldn't know how to broach that really...
As for collection, this does say click and collect only but I will ask for delivery because of the current situation...don't feel like venturing out .

vickster

Legendary Member
Will be paying cash yes. I wouldn't know how to broach that really...
As for collection, this does say click and collect only but I will ask for delivery because of the current situation...don't feel like venturing out .
Just phone them up and ask what discount they’d be able to offer. Easy.
Trek have been very specific about not having their bikes sent mail order, so the shop may not be able to oblige unless they can get an exception from Trek. It’s a common bike, other retailers might have dispensation to courier. I’m not sure I’d want a massive cardboard box in my house right now given the virus can hang around on it for a day or two

OP
OP
newpedals

newpedals

Just phone them up and ask what discount they’d be able to offer. Easy.
Trek have been very specific about not having their bikes sent mail order, so the shop may not be able to oblige unless they can get an exception from Trek. It’s a common bike, other retailers might have dispensation to courier. I’m not sure I’d want a massive cardboard box in my house right now given the virus can hang around on it for a day or two
I fear they would say ...'discount on what grounds'...'erm covid grounds' ....'we're struggling as it is, we need every penny'...'fair enough ill give you a tip too'.... hahha. Do you know why they are specific about not sending them mail order? Well I hope they might make an exception due to the times we are in. The box would go straight into my garden and I'd do everything there in hygienic manner :biggrin:.

Top Bottom