Choice between..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I fear they would say ...'discount on what grounds'...'erm covid grounds' ....'we're struggling as it is, we need every penny'...'fair enough ill give you a tip too'.... hahha. Do you know why they are specific about not sending them mail order? Well I hope they might make an exception due to the times we are in. The box would go straight into my garden and I'd do everything there in hygienic manner :biggrin:.
Just ask - you'll be surprised, you don't need to give a reason. There's a decent margin on RRP but that's up to you

Trek basically say that all bikes should be set up properly in store by one of their retailers

OP
OP
newpedals

newpedals

Just ask - you'll be surprised, you don't need to give a reason. There's a decent margin on RRP but that's up to you

Trek basically say that all bikes should be set up properly in store by one of their retailers
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
I see, makes sense. Well will see what happens , going to contact them later today . Thanks for all your help!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Do you know why they are specific about not sending them mail order?

It's an attempt to preserve and control the perception of the brand in order to reduce widespread discounting.

Dealers tend to accept it because by preventing out of area sales it also helps preserve their patch.

My local bike shop tries to avoid taking on brands that are routinely thrashed by the online discounters.

Trek are also able to exert more control on the dealer such as insisting they keep a minimum stock, or take a couple of the latest model they are trying to push.

Increasingly, Trek and others are adopting a business to consumer via a shop model, as opposed to a business to business (wholesaler) model.

The bike companies reduce the shop's discount on the basis they've done most of the work on a sale via click and collect on their website.

Discounts may still be available if the dealer has the bike in stock, not least because they have more profit in a stock bike than one you order from the Trek website.

If you pay Trek directly, it's hard for the dealer to offer a discount because they are not seeing your money, only getting a commission on the sale.

MarkF

Guru
Between the two, I'd pick the Specialized
I've owned both Sirrus's and FX's along with a pile of other hybrids and there is really not much bewteen them and I am sure yould enjoy either. I have fond memories of the Sirrus that I bought and immediately road from Bilbao to Malaga and it was super comfy, day in day out. At that price point and spec I'd probably choose the one I thought looked best!

But these are good starter bikes that people buy and then give soon up on, for one reason or another, I picked up both mine for between £200 & £250, they were as new and that's what I'd do again.:okay:

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I fear they would say ...'discount on what grounds'...'erm covid grounds' ....'we're struggling as it is, we need every penny'...'fair enough ill give you a tip too'.... hahha. Do you know why they are specific about not sending them mail order? Well I hope they might make an exception due to the times we are in. The box would go straight into my garden and I'd do everything there in hygienic manner :biggrin:.

I easily got 10% off of my Trek the year before last, even though it was in short supply and had to be ordered.

Top Bottom