Choosing a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alanwj100

Hi I had decided on a Cannondale synapse Tiago for£1100 Alli frame with carbon forks.
I the came across the Carrera Virago this has a full carbon frame for around £880 .
Which is the better bike?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
By all accounts the Virago is a great bike for the money undercutting Halfords Boardman which was previously their cheapest carbon framed bike.
If you don’t mind riding a Halfords name then it’s got a lot going for it. Don’t get too hung up on carbon though.
The Virago doesn’t look to have mudguard mounts, the Synapse does. Rim brakes on the Virago and cable discs on the Cannondale.
The Halfords bike has quite a racy geometry with 25c tyres so won’t be too comfy on poor surfaces. The Cannondale is more relaxed with 28c tyres.
Warranties look comparable.
The choice is yours. Both are great bikes.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It'll depend what you want from the bike.

There's a Carrera Virago review here, which shows it as 9 speed with rim brakes: https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-virago-2020-review/
The Cannondale's 10 speed with disc brakes: https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/cannondale/synapse-aluminium-tiagra-2021-mens-road-bike-934400

Of those the Carrera is a bit more old-style; won't take larger tyres, rim brakes and some budget-level kit. Do you want a carbon frame (Carrera) or wider tyre/mudguard options (Cannondale)?

Finally, is the Carrera available? It's not listed any more at Halfords so I'm guessing it's second-hand? At £700 new, then £880 for a second-hand bike looks expensive even in this Covid-bike supply shortage.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
I'd go for the Cannondale personally, their Aluminium frames are very very good and even with disc brakes the weight is comparable to the carbon Carrera. Add to that the better groupset and finishing equipment and you've got a winner.

OP
OP
A

Alanwj100

I'd go for the Cannondale personally, their Aluminium frames are very very good and even with disc brakes the weight is comparable to the carbon Carrera. Add to that the better groupset and finishing equipment and you've got a winner.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I want a fast road bike that I may try a pentathlon with at some point.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think you need a horse not a bike for pentathlon? :smile:
Its maybe either a very modern pentathlon, or the two changeover sessions in a triathlon counting as an event in their own right - perhaps 100 press-ups and 100 sit-ups to be done at each?

Top Bottom