Choosing a new Garmin GPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigTone0777

Hi Guy's!

I have had to return my Edge 705 to Wiggle as it became faulty and due to them no longer being made they have given me a refund rather than replacing it. This leaves me with a decision to make............which model do I replace it with. So far the favourite it the Edge 500 as it seems to be the closest in spec and seems to do what I want it to do, the only question I have is can you create maps online and upload them to it like I could with my 705. I'm also open to other suggestions but as I already have the Garmin cadence/speed sensor it seems to make sense to stick with a Garmin unit.

Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to your input!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In short no. The 500 does not do maps like the 705. It has course where you follow a preloaded breadcrumb trail (grey Line), and there is the well publicised fault with the 500 where a lot of the machines do not follow courses over 40 miles. I have a 500, excellent for recording a ride, not so for courses.

If you want mapping ala the 705 then you need the 800.

OP
OP
BigTone0777

BigTone0777

Thanks for the reply. I could see the 500 did everything my 705 did but it wasn't so obvious about uploading courses and I guess that'll be why lol. I like to map out a route to places I don't know the way to and follow the gps, makes it interesting lol

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
800, it's great. The mapping, in my opinion, is unsurpassed and the touch screen is very user-friendly. It's expensive but worth it. I'm sure there are loads of comprehensive reviews online, and I would highly recommend one.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
You can still get Edge 705s, brand new- Handtec have them at £180. That said, I'd probably look at the 800 anyway, looks like a good step up in many respects.

lulubel

Über Member
800, it's great. The mapping, in my opinion, is unsurpassed and the touch screen is very user-friendly. It's expensive but worth it. I'm sure there are loads of comprehensive reviews online, and I would highly recommend one.

How easy is it to see the screen in the sun? (I'm thinking about a new Garmin, and that's a big consideration for me here.)

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
How easy is it to see the screen in the sun? (I'm thinking about a new Garmin, and that's a big consideration for me here.)

It's no problem, you can put the brightness on max if the sun is really, really strong (though this will decrease battery life). The light switches off after 15 seconds until the screen is touched or a new direction is shown (as standard, this can be changed), so battery is conserved where possible. I've yet to test how long it would last on max brightness with the screen display permanently on, but I've had no problems.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The 800 has moved on it technology, but the 705 is better to read in sunlight - it works really well as the screen design is different. Back lights aren't needed. Yes it isn't as colourful.

If you can get toe 800, if you want to save a bob, 705 - same functions.

Top Bottom