Choosing size for tall person with short reach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I quite like the suggestion of a Dutch-style bike; the idea of getting something like a Pashley as an alternative was in the back of my mind, since the upright position and swept-back bars eilminate the problem of reach (I've actually test ridden one, and it was nice). It wouldn't be easy to ride as quickly as on a modern hybrid, though.

Modern Dutch city bikes are lightweight aluminium framed and fully equipped ( mud and chain guards, rack, lights, stand). They are nothing like the heavy, steel granny bikes.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Modern Dutch city bikes are lightweight aluminium framed and fully equipped ( mud and chain guards, rack, lights, stand). They are nothing like the heavy, steel granny bikes.

Pashleys weigh a ton!

Pashleys weigh a ton!

A few years ago I test rode a whole bunch of city bikes at the big bike show which had a figure8 indoor test track.
Lots of foldy and stylish models but the best riding was the Pashley Princess. Not light or big but very nice.

OP
OP
A

aynjrz

The Pashley is mainly an idle thought, but I did think it was a really nice bike. I tried a Roadster Classic 3 speed (i.e. the triangle-frame men's model). Very comfortable, very pleasant, very heavy, and surprisingly fast considering what it is. Brakes felt very good, too, in comparison to many of the hybrids I've tried. The gearing was too high for me on this model, though.

It's not difficult. Buy the largest frame size that will accommodate your saddle height whilst allowing you two or more inches of stand over (crotch clearance over the top tube) and then place the bars where you want them. Achieve this by swapping out for a shorter and/or higher rise stem and/or different shaped bar with more rise or greater backsweep. Fitting a shorter stem will in no way have a detrimental effect on the handling.

Top Bottom