Choosing size for tall person with short reach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aynjrz

Hello,

I last asked for advice here a couple of years ago, when I was looking for a new hybrid. Some physical problems meant I wasn't able to pursue it then, and I'm beginning to look again at buying a hybrid-type bike. I've test ridden a few, and I've run into a sizing problem - I was wondering if someone might have some advice to offer.

I'm about 6ft tall, with what seem to be relatively long legs (around 33.5inch inside leg barefoot) but shortish reach. This tends to put me between bike sizes - with a smaller bike (typically size large), my seat has to be raised a huge amount. If I move up one size, to XL, I often find the reach to the bars a little too long.

I've been told by bike shops that they recommend the XL size for me in the bikes I've tried because of the seat height, and that I would then need to try shorter or adjustable stems to accommodate reach. However, I'm nervious about buying a new bike where I know I'll have to adjust fit like this.

I'd be grateful for any advice on this, as I'm really not sure how to proceed. The bike I'm looking at most seriously is the 2022 Trek FX2.

OP
OP
A

aynjrz

Another way to make a bike feel shorter apart from a smaller stem is higher bars ie sit up and beg style. If you buy a new bike they may come with a uncut steerer tube, my latest CX bike came with a uncut steerer and I could have had the bars a good 4 inches or so higher than I cut the steerer down to. Or of course you can buy bars that give you a higher hand position.

vickster

Legendary Member
It doesn’t matter if you need a lot of seat post showing as long as the frame can accommodate and the reach and drop to bars works for you (you can always change stem length/angle)
If between sizes, assuming it can be made to work, it’s always best to size down and tweak things with the stem, seatpost layback.
I’m a tall female with long legs, so I have shorter top tubes than a long torso short legged rider. I have lots of seatpost and raise the bars with a flipped stem

Maybe look at some other makes/models to compare as there’s no standard geometry

T4tomo

Legendary Member
hard to say with to seeing you on either size, but instinct would be the smaller size and a more upward angled stem, which will make the reach less. the larger size and a more upward angled stem might also work.

A decent bike shop should be prepared to let you try both sizes with different stem to test how you feel, its only a 2 minute job to swap a stem over.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get a bike with a women's frame. Their designed for people with relatively long legs to their upper body.

It’s an option but not all companies actually have a different geometry for WSD (they just change the colour, finishing kit, crank and stem length).
Also, the sizes don’t always go as large (and a large WSD may not be the same size as a large men’s/unisex so check the geometries carefully, eg the excellent Whyte R7 range)

OP
OP
A

aynjrz

Thanks for your replies so far. It sounds as thought it'll be a matter of experimentation, and I'll just have to ask the shops to fit different stems. The idea of trying a women's frame is interesting, though - I wondered about that too.

A basic question - if a stem is the right length but too low, or too long but at a better height, is there a rule-of-thumb for which is better? Is it better to have to raise a stem or shorten it?

vickster

Legendary Member
Whatever is comfortable (and that might change as you ride more!)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A basic question - if a stem is the right length but too low, or too long but at a better height, is there a rule-of-thumb for which is better? Is it better to have to raise a stem or shorten it?

your reach is essentially a ellipse formed by rotation of torso from hips and arms shoulders, so it both height and horizontal distance, not one or the other.

you dont want the stem to be too short or too long, as it effect the handling, hence suggestion of a higher angled stem to reduce reach as well as a slightly shorter one.

Sharky

Guru
Assuming you have the "ahead" style stems, you can get a huge variety of stems in different lengths and angles, so very easy to experiment and vary the position. The DIY skills needed are minimal, just a few nuts to undo and tightenup. Well worth learning.

If going for the smaller frame option, check the number of spacers you have under or above the stem itself. If thinking that you may want to raise the handlebars, having spacers above the stem, will give you an immediate option to switch the order of them without investing in different stem angles.

Regards seat posts, on one of my bikes with a compact frame, I have 25cm of seat post exposed and very secure, so don't worry about saddle height. It's not the original seat post, but longer ones are easy to source and again easy to fit.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
I'm 6'5", so I need a 64cm bike, but I need a much more upright riding position than most, so I've long had a problem with the bars & stem. It all depends on how far from the norm you need to be, but can get a real PITA, because the range of adjustment available with off the shelf parts just doesn't cut the mustard if you need something radical. At one time I needed the bars about 4" above the saddle.

Short reach stems win you a bit, but not a lot, and they make the steering twitchy and prone to shimmy. There's quite a bit of scope for raising the stem if you have a new steerer tube that's uncut, but once you've cut it the only way back is a Heath Robinson extender. I have a threaded headset, but it became increasingly difficult to find quills long enough as they went out of fashion and it's even worse finding quill converters.

A womans style frame is not as stiff as a mans triangle style. Normally this doesnt matter but XL sized frames often lack the stiffness of medium sized ones.
Some modern Dutch city bikes seem to be very upright. Check out Gazelle, Koga and Batavus. Dutch people are very tall.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
A womans style frame is not as stiff as a mans triangle style. Normally this doesnt matter but XL sized frames often lack the stiffness of medium sized ones.
Some modern Dutch city bikes seem to be very upright. Check out Gazelle, Koga and Batavus. Dutch people are very tall.

There are WSD models with a standard frame (many aren’t step through)

OP
OP
A

aynjrz

I quite like the suggestion of a Dutch-style bike; the idea of getting something like a Pashley as an alternative was in the back of my mind, since the upright position and swept-back bars eilminate the problem of reach (I've actually test ridden one, and it was nice). It wouldn't be easy to ride as quickly as on a modern hybrid, though.

Top Bottom