What bike for short commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
After changing jobs I find myself living only 3 miles from my work place.

It would be great to buy a bike to commute on. the route is moslty flat along a narrow twisty cycle route but does have one long fairly steep climb on a busy road.

I do have an old mountain bike that I pulled from the shed but it does have a failed front susspention fork but I think I would like something different rarther than spending money fixing it.

I did try the local used market with not much joy. It is dominated buy very low end rubish or high end road bikes.

Any sugestions for something comfortable, nippy and reliable

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Look at used Whyte R7 models.
You could try a wanted ad in the classifieds if you know what sort of bike you’re looking for.
3 miles is only 20 mins in reality even on a busy path so anything in good working order with say a 32mm+ tyre should be suitable. Certainly no need for an E-bike or something if you’re able bodied imo

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think the OP might do well with a hybrid. One with narrower faster tyres and a more aggressive riding position rather than 'sit up and beg' types with bigger fatter rubber on some hybrids which are really MTB lite. Something like this Giant Fastroad. Base model at £760 would be fine but better spec'd models are available. Think Giant give a lifetime warranty on the frame which is reassuring. They are the biggest maker of bikes as the name infers and make for many other brands too:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/fastroad-sl-2

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
I think the OP might do well with a hybrid. One with narrower faster tyres and a more aggressive riding position rather than 'sit up and beg' types with bigger fatter rubber on some hybrids which are really MTB lite. Something like this Giant Fastroad. Base model at £760 would be fine but better spec'd models are available. Think Giant give a lifetime warranty on the frame which is reassuring. They are the biggest maker of bikes as the name infers and make for many other brands too:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/fastroad-sl-2

that does look good

But it seems to be lacking any rack mounts

vickster

Legendary Member
that does look good

But it seems to be lacking any rack mounts

You can use p clips or a seatpost collar with mounts…although it does say

Easy to accessorize​

Universal rack and fender lets you customize the bike for fitness riding, commuting or long-range adventures.
so perhaps they’re hidden?

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
You can use p clips or a seatpost collar with mounts…although it does say

Easy to accessorize​

Universal rack and fender lets you customize the bike for fitness riding, commuting or long-range adventures.
so perhaps they’re hidden?
well I did send in that question to the web site. they should get back to me soon. The problem I finding now is there is almost too much choice. you can pretty much get anything you want but bike can get expensive. I am also trawling the local adds to see if any used bargains crop up. but facebook market place seems to be filled with high end road bikes or low end rubbish and not much in the middle

vickster

Legendary Member
well I did send in that question to the web site. they should get back to me soon. The problem I finding now is there is almost too much choice. you can pretty much get anything you want but bike can get expensive. I am also trawling the local adds to see if any used bargains crop up. but facebook market place seems to be filled with high end road bikes or low end rubbish and not much in the middle

Whereabouts are you? Can you travel

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Looking for a specific make / model is probably folly; I'd get an idea of what you want in the bike and keep in eye on Gumtree and FB Mulletplace for stuff that fits the bill. The commute is short and so the bike's attributes will be fairly non-critical beyond a certain point.

All depends on your tastes. Last year I wanted a utility bike, decided I wanted a steel tourer with decent gear range and after some weeks of looking scored my Fuji Touring for not a huge sum of money (although it did need a fair bit of work). An alternative for such a short distance might be an old steel hybrid like a Raleigh Pioneer, or a sit-up-and-beg town bike like a Raleigh Superbe.

I have a taste for vintage stuff that lasts so like old steel; alternatively you could go for a more modern hybrid or road bike if you want to prioritise speed and rider engagement.. you've expressed a preference for rack mounts but that's about it - more information would help; budget, bar format, gearing etc..

Tbh you could pick up pretty much anything of Muppetplace for £100 and it'd do the job.

Big John

Guru
For that sort of commute anything with gears, no suspension (you don't need it) and mudguards. Kit it out with some lights and a D lock. Make it look as awful as possible then no one will nick it hopefully. My 'pub' bike was made up from bits I'd got knocking about. If they steal it they must be proper desperate. When I was working my three mile commute (which I did for 35 years) took me about 15 minutes so it's not worth spending much for that sort of stuff.

Top Bottom