Time for a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grumpydad

Morning all,
I'm looking to replace my road bike, I've been looking at the Giant Contend SL 1 or the Cube SLX both very similar in geometry and running gear all 105 except the Cube uses Shimano 105 crankset and the Giant doesn't, tyres are a bit larger on the Giant, but I don't intend going off tarmac, The Giant has the D-fuse seat post which I'm not sure about, I'm sure someone has an opinion on these bikes good or bad fire away:whistle:

Alex321

Veteran
Remember the Giant will also come set up tubeless, while the Cube will be normal tubed tyres.

I have a Cube, but the Attain rather than the SLX, and I have been very happy with it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Remember the Giant will also come set up tubeless, while the Cube will be normal tubed tyres.

I have a Cube, but the Attain rather than the SLX, and I have been very happy with it.

are you sure? actually set up tubeless with sealant in et al, or just supplied with tubeless compatible rims & tyres? I'm not saying you're wrong but that is unusual if true.

I assume OP is looking at the Attain SLX as similar price range to Contend SL1 circa £1500.

not a lot between bikes from main manufacturers at this sort of price point. what colour scheme do you prefer?

I wouldn't like to be tied to a manufacture's seat post , but that's a fairly minor gripe as your unlikely to change it and replacements are widely available from Giant.

OP
OP
grumpydad

grumpydad

Your assumption is correct, the Attain SLX is what I'm looking at, I am leaning towards the Cube and I really like the deep red colour, but that appears to be as rare as hens teeth, the other problem is the Giant is available locally, and the Cube isn't, It is possible that I'm overthinking the whole thing.

vickster

Legendary Member
Your assumption is correct, the Attain SLX is what I'm looking at, I am leaning towards the Cube and I really like the deep red colour, but that appears to be as rare as hens teeth, the other problem is the Giant is available locally, and the Cube isn't, It is possible that I'm overthinking the whole thing.

If you're comfortable buying sight unseen, getting it road ready and the Cube is from a reputable dealer, there shouldn't be an issue

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
As a Giant Defy (2006) and Giant Defy Advanced (2019) owner with D-Fuse, I can honestly say i've had no major issues with build quality.

OP
OP
grumpydad

grumpydad

If you're comfortable buying sight unseen, getting it road ready and the Cube is from a reputable dealer, there shouldn't be an issue

I have no issues setting the bike up so mail order is always an option, but I would like to have a sit on a Cube just to confirm the fit.

Alex321

Veteran
are you sure? actually set up tubeless with sealant in et al, or just supplied with tubeless compatible rims & tyres? I'm not saying you're wrong but that is unusual if true.

They appear to have changed that with the latest models. When I was looking a year or two ago, all the Giant road bikes came set up tubeless. Now they are supplied with tubeless ready rims, but non-tubeless tyres, for the 2023 models. Most 2022 models till seem to come set up tubeless.

They all used to come with the Giant Gavia tubeless tyres, now they all seem to come with Giant s-r3-ac, which are non-tubeless.

OP
OP
grumpydad

grumpydad

They appear to have changed that with the latest models. When I was looking a year or two ago, all the Giant road bikes came set up tubeless. Now they are supplied with tubeless ready rims, but non-tubeless tyres, for the 2023 models. Most 2022 models till seem to come set up tubeless.

They all used to come with the Giant Gavia tubeless tyres, now they all seem to come with Giant s-r3-ac, which are non-tubeless.

With hedge cutting in full swing, tubless would be an advantage

Sharky

Guru
Intrigued by the D post. Is the seat tube D shaped as well? Will it take a standard seat post if needed?

Tommohawk

I have the 2021 Contend SL1 disc. It came with tubes. I’ve since changed the wheels and tyres. It’s a cracking bike for the money.

Top Bottom