Giant bikes and there d shaped seat post.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flying start

Veteran
Hi all just curious on people's thoughts on the giant seat post.

Was looking at the giant defy and the revolt, it's sort of put me off buying one. Having a wedge fitted so you can use a normal seat post is mad if you don't have it in right when tightening can lead to stretching the opening. And a little rubber grommet to hide the bolt that tightens it. Looks awful to me. I know the seat post would be fit and forget in a way but just a shame a big manufacturer like giant does that sort of thing.

Jameshow

Veteran
Have a Google and run to another dealer!

13 rider

Guru
I run 2 giants a Defy and TCR both have d shaped posts but the older one has a more traditional clamp . Never had a issue with either really once you tinkered your saddle height you literally can forget about it . I believe manufacturers use d shaped post as they offer more compliance and comfort

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have had two Giant bikes with the D seat post. Didn't cause a problem, but, if you don't like them, then don't buy one, I suppose is the choice?, or, possibly, change the seat post and saddle?

DogmaStu

Is that really true? Obviously you think so. Does it make a substantial difference? Just wondering.

They were originally designed for cyclocross racing to absorb some of the harsher vibrations.

Like most marginal gain tech, it is from the racing scene where small adjustments, changes can make a difference, in this case to help combat fatigue from riding over rough surfaces.

Do they work? Well, the only way to really know is to ride a bike with one and compare. Needless to say, it would only really show any benefit on longer rides.

DRM

Guru
I run 2 giants a Defy and TCR both have d shaped posts but the older one has a more traditional clamp . Never had a issue with either really once you tinkered your saddle height you literally can forget about it . I believe manufacturers use d shaped post as they offer more compliance and comfort

Me too, got a Defy, the height is set, the saddle position is set, it's never caused an issue, mine is the older type Defy with the collar too, as a whole the bike has been fantastic

november4

They supply carbon grit paste to secure the D post, and once the wedge is in, you don't have to remove it to adjust post height....just remove bolt and nudge up/down with rubber mallet or your palm. It's 6Nm to retorque bolt. I like that they have a scale on the post for setting seat height, handy if sharing....not that the graphics will last forever though

The shape is more compliant than a tube, and obviously I can't cross check as on my bike it's only D but it visibly deflects......and i think the revolt or some models if it also take regular profile, for those you want dropper posts....was in a review I read, I think...

mustang1

Guru
I
Is that really true? Obviously you think so. Does it make a substantial difference? Just wondering.

Also have a Giant with d post. Seems like waffle to me but the price of the bike was low so I didn't complain. Had to buy a d post compliant tail light (it's kind of wedge shaped).

DRM

Guru
I

Also have a Giant with d post. Seems like waffle to me but the price of the bike was low so I didn't complain. Had to buy a d post compliant tail light (it's kind of wedge shaped).

Agree on price, for what my Defy cost in the end of season sale, people can only dream of getting a decent carbon framed bike for these days

OP
OP
flying start

flying start

Veteran
Well after all the fuss I now own a giant revolt advanced 2. The seat post clamp is a crap with the shim and if you don't have it lined up right and tighten it you can risk cracking the fram. And the rubber grommet to cover the bolt isn't that good but I suppose its set and forget. I ended up with the revolt as giant and my lbs had big discounts on these bikes. Other than that the bike rides great.

november4

Adaptable to the terrain​

A flip chip on the rear dropout adjusts the wheelbase short for quicker handling, or long for improved stability at speed. The long setting allows for larger diameter tires up to 53mm. You can also choose the included D-Fuse seatpost for maximum compliance, or switch to a 30.9mm round or dropper post.

Nice bike, I have had my on them 👁

Top Bottom