Is there an e-assist bike suited to extra tall and heavy cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I am in the very early stages of considering adding an e-assist bike to my stable, to enable me to continue riding in mountainous terrain. The problem is that I can't seem to find any e-bikes that come in XL size (to take a 6 foot 5 cyclist) or that would take someone weighing 140kg (22 stone). I will keep looking, and I'm not in a rush ... but has anyone already found what I am looking for? Ideally it would be a road bike with drop bars (though flat bars acceptable) and preferably steel framed. Any help appreciated.

Many of the brands especially US brands have a maximum rider weight of 136kg or 300lbs so you aren't far off their recommended max weight limits. You haven't mentioned a budget. If you really want a off-road ebike then typically mid-drive is the best option although they can be complicated and wear the drivetrain out faster however you later state you would like a road bike so I assume what you mean by mountainous terrain is more steep hills on the road rather than off-road? Someone of your weight especially when used roughly off-road would likely be more prone to faults in the mid-drive motor.

Maybe get a good steel frame and build up a bike to the spec you want with a mid-drive motor. Chain Reaction have a steel chromo mountain bike frame in large at a quarter of its normal price. It could be a good basis for a self-build ebike and you could go with a 450mm saddle post rather than 350mm to give you that extra height flexibility.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/ns-bikes-surge-evo-frame?color=black&frameSizeInches=L

OP
OP
Donger

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Many of the brands especially US brands have a maximum rider weight of 136kg or 300lbs so you aren't far off their recommended max weight limits. You haven't mentioned a budget. If you really want a off-road ebike then typically mid-drive is the best option although they can be complicated and wear the drivetrain out faster however you later state you would like a road bike so I assume what you mean by mountainous terrain is more steep hills on the road rather than off-road? Someone of your weight especially when used roughly off-road would likely be more prone to faults in the mid-drive motor.

Maybe get a good steel frame and build up a bike to the spec you want with a mid-drive motor. Chain Reaction have a steel chromo mountain bike frame in large at a quarter of its normal price. It could be a good basis for a self-build ebike and you could go with a 450mm saddle post rather than 350mm to give you that extra height flexibility.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/ns-bikes-surge-evo-frame?color=black&frameSizeInches=L

Yes, road cycling in the Alps, Highlands, Wales etc. In my experience, frames need to be XL, not "large". Thanks for the tip about American makes, though. I can probably hit 300lbs.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
To echo the above, if you have a current bike that you use, why not convert it with a mid drive motor? Just be careful to understand what the law is on motors/ebikes. It's not complicated but it isn't crystal clear either.

Jameshow

Veteran
Why not convert a road bike to a front wheel drive electric bike using a kit?

Then your drive train is preserved, and the bike is only carrying a slight bit of extra weight on the frame. The stressed rear wheel is saved extra torque loading too.

They are available in 700c sizes too.
Put on say a 32mm tyre and your good to go.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Depends on your budget etc. But if you're after an all in one solution, Thorn cycles build to specific requirements and are either steel or cro-mo.

Top Bottom