Choosing some handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In October last year, I got a Specialized Crosstrail (Sport) '09.

I am interested in replacing the handlebars with dropped ones.

I have figured out what size I need and what other parts I will need.

There appears to be rather alot to choose from and I'm not really sure where to start. I don't have much money to spend, so £30-£40 would probably be the limit.

Does anyone have any recomendations/suggestions for manufacturers of dropped handlebars?

Thanks

kyuss

Veteran
I'm a fan of FSA Omega Compacts. I recently switched to them and they've been a revelation. They're like nothing else I've ever used, mostly because they're designed with Shimano levers in mind and as such give a nice flat transition between the bar and hoods while still allowing easy reach to the levers when in the drops, something I've always struggled to achieve with any other bar (I've used ITM, Deda and BBB bars in the past). Combined with the shallow drop, I find I'm using the drops more than I ever have before as well. They are just so comfortable in every position.

Oh, and SJS have the 42cm ones on sale at the moment for £20. Even at full price, if you're going to be running Shimano levers they are 'The Business™'.

OP
OP
steve30

steve30

Veteran
I intend to use the Tektro RL520 V-Brake levers. I don't how different they feel to Shimano ones.

I'm not sure whether I'd be best off with 40cm or 42cm bars. I think 40cm may be slightly better.

I was just looking at this: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-...rop-Handlebars--26.0mm-Clamp--Black-16584.htm

Might be suitable for me. Would it be possible to use a 26mm handlebar with a 25.6mm stem? I can't see 0.4mm making a lot of difference.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
How do you plan to brake or change gear in the drops?

About width, chose the pair that fit your shoulder width. Measure between the bony bit of your shoulders. Many guides online. Don't want them to narrow else will restrict your chest.

buddha

Veteran
+1 for the FSA Omega. Though they seem to have gone up in price a lot. Mine cost £20 a year ago.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
steve30 said:
By pulling the brake lever perhaps?

Regarding gears, I will use bar end shifters.

I asked not to be awkward but because at present your brake lever is intended for a flat bar but you are going to change to a drop bar, where it may not sit so nice or since you are adding drops, you may find you would be better in the long run laying out for brake levers with hoods etc to glean as close to maximum advantage from having drop handlebars as possible (i.e. to maximally use the ability to vary your hand possition)?

OP
OP
steve30

steve30

Veteran
Hmm, are you refering to my current brake levers which are used on the flat bars? If so, I will be replacing those with Tektro RL520 levers.

I did wonder for a while about keeping the current levers but decided it would be impractical.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes, I must have misread your earlier post, I read the comment "I intend to use the Tektro RL520 V-Brake levers." along the lines that you had these levers on your current bars and intended to keep them.

My apologies

OP
OP
steve30

steve30

Veteran
Looks like I may also need a new stem as I don't think 26mm handlebars will work too well in a 25.4mm stem, and 31.8mm certainly won't.

Now I need to figure out what size stem to get as well.

Top Bottom