Chris Barber Has Blown His Last Note

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Sad news, Lonnie Donnegan got his start singing in his band.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I do not like what I call full on jazz but I did enjoy his stuff.
@raleighnut I didn't realise that.
I have one complaint!!! Too many people around my age group are popping their clogs :eek:

A bloke I sometimes ride with, in his 60s, said "nowadays I attend more funerals than weddings". It's a sombre thought.

Sharky

Guru
There's a local rider down here who was one of the pro team. Still riding our evening 10's AND still too fast for me.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Sad, another one gone. I liked his style of music and saw him a couple of years back at the St. Albans arena. It was a great night.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My father was a fan and took me to see Chris Barber when I was a child, my first gig! I've been interested in Jazz ever since. His band over the year featured some great musicians, Monty Sunshine, Pat Halcox and the fabulous voice of Otilie Patterson.
He's quite an unsung hero of modern music. By bringing over some of the big names of early blues to the UK, he inspired the likes of the Rolling Stones, Cream and many others of the British Blues movement who then re-exported black American music to an unknowing white American audience growing the stature of the early Bluesmen in their own country.
A name that should be writ larger in the history of modern music.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BABKav1IbNc

Last edited:
Top Bottom