Chris Froome extends with Sky - but Sir Bradley Wiggins on the way out?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Couch

Über Member
It is crisis in (road) cycling.
Look at all the riders that had a hard time finding a pro-team (if they found one at all)

If Wiggo still has a contract for 1 year, it might just be that Sky is waiting to see what his result(s) will be this year.
If it ain't good they can put a new contract before him with a lot less money on it.
Of course, if he does show flash(es) of his 2012 year, they'll have to pay him more to keep him, but still.. I would understand Sky's way of thinking (if my assumptions would be right)

And since he ain't the youngest either anymore, Sky might just not even be very interested in keeping him all together either and use the money to get a young prospect (e.g. someone like Kelderman, Kwiatkowski, Talansky,...)

tigger

Über Member
Why is there discussion on Wiggins future with Sky? We all know he can change like the wind :smile:, but he stated quite clearly last summer that 2014 would be his last year on the road and he would be concentrating on the track afterwards? So thats why there's no contract extension... at least for the moment. Google it...

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Too old for Rio Games -
What's the point in going back +

He changes like the wind - as you said.
Why is there discussion on Wiggins future with Sky? We all know he can change like the wind :smile:, but he stated quite clearly last summer that 2014 would be his last year on the road and he would be concentrating on the track afterwards? So thats why there's no contract extension... at least for the moment. Google it...

oldroadman

Veteran
Too old for Rio Games -
What's the point in going back +

He changes like the wind - as you said.

Not too old for track, plenty of good track riders are still good deep into the 30's. So long as they keep the basic speed. Take the climbs away and everything is different.

I think he is going in to finish his days off .... on the track ...
Why should he need to ride the grand tours for longer than he needs to ..
He has made some serious money..... and he has made it perfectly clear
he does nt like being away from his kids ...Be good to see if he"s still got his passion
when/if he returns to the track .

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's not a secret - he has said he wants to return to the track for Rio.
He has said that he's well aware it will be tough to get on the team
He has said that if he doesn't then so be it

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I think he is going in to finish his days off .... on the track ...
Why should he need to ride the grand tours for longer than he needs to ..
He has made some serious money..... and he has made it perfectly clear
he does nt like being away from his kids ...Be good to see if he"s still got his passion
when/if he returns to the track .
Think the passion has gone myself -
SHAME really coz I like him as a character - BALLSY & unafraid of the media etc.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Puppy - Pussycat.
I just like characters & can't warm to him - I also don't really think of him as a British winner.
Also as I quoted elsewhere - the days of 7x Winners or even 4/5 times are gone - no matter what the media or Team Sky say about Froome Puppy.

Oh & that nickname.

Makes me GROWL.
^_^I had to delete my comment, I thought I posted it in the 2014 predication thread, I don't know how it ended up in here

Top Bottom