Chris Froome extends with Sky - but Sir Bradley Wiggins on the way out?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I think they are trying to make a story out of a non-event myself. Wiggo has said he wants to return to the track and you can't do that with Sky.. Not sure if I'm missing anything so thought I would post it.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

if his contract doesn't run out for 12 months anyway why would he even be considering a new one now?

It is common practice for sportsmen to be resigned before they get to the end of a ccontract, the reason for this is it prevents approach by other teams. Many of team Sky riders contracts finished at the same time as wiggo's and they have had new contacts. The question to be asked must be is the reason due to Wiggo wanting to return to the track, or do Sky no longer see him as part of their plans?
The only thing for certain is that we can expect the truth to come out in a book deal at a later date.

oldroadman

Veteran
It is common practice for sportsmen to be resigned before they get to the end of a ccontract, the reason for this is it prevents approach by other teams. Many of team Sky riders contracts finished at the same time as wiggo's and they have had new contacts. The question to be asked must be is the reason due to Wiggo wanting to return to the track, or do Sky no longer see him as part of their plans?
The only thing for certain is that we can expect the truth to come out in a book deal at a later date.

It can be the case, exten long before renewal is getting close. But not always, traditionally the talking starts early season and deals are finalised at the TdF, or shortly after. I think "watch this space", bearing in mind the BW ambition to return to the track at Rio. Then again, he is 34 now, Rio is 31 months away, and the current crop of young and very quick team pursuiters will mean selection into the squad can never be a done deal. The meritocracy will always win out when medals and funding are on the line. A bit of Mr Brailsford's "compassionate ruthlessness", and all that, low on compassion and high on honesty, I think.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Non story as wiggins has said he will be leaving road cycling a end of 2014
Yep that's what I thought too. I assume he'll have a contract with whatever the track side of British Cycling is (if they are allowed contracts when they compete in the Olympics)

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Or sky will continue to sponsor him, use him as a brand ambassador for sky for functions and the like whilst the riders concentrate on racing.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Non story as wiggins has said he will be leaving road cycling a end of 2014

In Telegraph recently he was adamant he will sit down and plan for the next two years with the team at the end of the season.
It is not unknown for Wiggins to change his mind. Twice before, in 2006 and 2010, he looked and sounded as if he would never compete in another Tour. He then went on to win it in 2012

oldroadman

Veteran
Yep that's what I thought too. I assume he'll have a contract with whatever the track side of British Cycling is (if they are allowed contracts when they compete in the Olympics)
A little bit out of date there, professionals have been in Olympics for some years now. Contracts are part of the game. Hardly anyone at top level in any sport does anything but train, rest, compete, and are paid 9in varying amounts) to do just that. mentioned above the idea that Sky would use BW as an ambassador is interesting, as Sky also support the GBCT no real commercial clash, but one rider on big bucks within a more modestly paid team may take some managing.
Once selected for an Olympics though, they all belong to BOA apparantly, and then other demands and sponsor issues have to be managed, as it appears BOA regards selected athletes as their "property" to exploit and use for their own commercial purposes. It all seems to get horribly complicated!

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Wiggo must be MENTAL.

I know he is fiery/controversial & restless in a sporting sense & I am a fan of Wiggo rather than Froome, but...

Is he MAD to want to go back to the track at his age ??
There is no way he will be at his peak of fitness for Rio Games.
He has chosen his path & for the sake of longevity for his career should look at a move to another G.C team if he is to be down the pecking order at Sky.
Froome will not be as dominant as Sky or Cycling fans assume either.
Those days have gone with the EPO era.

Chris Norton

Why would wiggins want to go to another GC team as he has already stated his non desire to put that much into a GC win again. He wants to go back to the track and if he stays with the Professional side of British Cycling (come on lets all be honest about it for a change) then flipping down to the track means he stays within the same team process.
He could go and win the one week stage races if he wants to with another team but once a GT winner your always going to want that level imho.

Top Bottom