The Giro On TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
What TV channel will be showing the highlights of the this years Giro in the evening 7 - 8 ? i know Quest or ITV 4 have always done it in the past

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Eurosport so probably Quest / Discovery plus for free highlights. no ITV involvement I believe

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It was mentioned on the end of Quest's Roubaix highlights that they'd be back for the Giro. It might be 7pm but it could just as easily be 10pm or 11pm to encourage more purchases of Discovery and GCN.

ITV4 has never had the Giro. When ITV were looking at expanding their cycling coverage, probably after Wiggo's 2012 Tour win and before his 2013 Giro attempt, RCS reportedly asked more for highlights of only the Giro than ASO were getting for live coverage and highlights of the Tour plus highlights of Dauphiné+Paris-Nice+LBL+Roubaix!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Worth paying for GCN+.
Huge amount of coverage of so many races.
As I've mentioned before, as GCN grows, the number of races on free TV is shrinking (the Vuelta and LBL at least in the UK), and with it, the way that the sport gets most new fans. Subscribing to coverage is very much a "jam today and fark tomorrow" option.

Alex321

Veteran
As I've mentioned before, as GCN grows, the number of races on free TV is shrinking (the Vuelta and LBL at least in the UK), and with it, the way that the sport gets most new fans. Subscribing to coverage is very much a "jam today and fark tomorrow" option.

That is very much the same model for most sports now though. The paid channels snap up all the top events other than those few that have protected status.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If a highlights show has been on Quest, you can watch it back later (normally a day behind) for free with Disc+ app (or watch it live on the app as its broadcast). If it was on Eurosport then you need to pay for a pass / subscription or subscribe to GCN which is similar price, depends on which is easiest fr you to access by your preferred methods.

quite often limited highlights packages appear on youtube too

What's your proposal? Not subscribe and just watch itv covered races?

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
I have looked at the TV listing for Quest and i cannot see any listing for the highlights of the Giro on it

Anybody know anymore on the subject

Jameshow

Veteran
If a highlights show has been on Quest, you can watch it back later (normally a day behind) for free with Disc+ app (or watch it live on the app as its broadcast). If it was on Eurosport then you need to pay for a pass / subscription or subscribe to GCN which is similar price, depends on which is easiest fr you to access by your preferred methods.

quite often limited highlights packages appear on youtube too

Wish they made the YouTube highlights 10 rather than the typical 5mins.

Chislenko

Veteran
It is free to air on S4c. They are certainly doing live coverage of some stages (not sure if every stage) but there will also be a nightly highlights programme.

S4c can be watched anywhere in the UK via Sky 134 or via their app S4c Clic.

I believe (though never explored it) there are commentary alternatives for those who don't speak Cymraeg.

Alex321

Veteran
It is free to air on S4c. They are certainly doing live coverage of some stages (not sure if every stage) but there will also be a nightly highlights programme.

I believe (though never explored it) there are commentary alternatives for those who don't speak Cymraeg.

English commentary usually on green button if watching over the air. Not sure if it is available when watching on catch-up (even when live streaming).

nellietheelephant

As mentioned here also.

Looks like it's on S4c at 21:00 on freesat (120), but it doesn't say who the commentators/presenters are. DMax on freesat (150) at 19:00. Also doesn't say who the commentators/presenters are, but if it's the same team as Quest was it'll be Orla Legsshowing et al. We'll find out tomorrow.

It's high time our public broadcasting network showed us licence payers at least a daily highlights programme of the major cycling tours. And, what is the point of BBC1 and BBC2 broadcasting the Coronation at the same time, from 07:30-15:00?

Top Bottom