Chris Walker cycle challenge (Keswick)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PMB

Is anyone doing this?

choice of 3 routes but the distances are a bit staggered!!

11 miles family route

22 miiles hilly route

85 miles all major lakes passes and general sufferfest route

Ive never ridden any of the passes so am going for the 22 mile route, which packs in Honister and Newlands pasess which i'm relibley informed, are very serious climbs

BTW

This is a FREE event, but it still has signage and sweep up wagon!!

A link would be nice;)

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
PMB said:
Ive never ridden any of the passes so am going for the 22 mile route, which packs in Honister and Newlands pasess which i'm relibley informed, are very serious climbs

I did Honister and Newlands, once from either direction in the Keswick Sportive in May. They are serious climbs.

Which direction are you climbing them from?

OP
OP
P

PMB

It rolls out of keswick toward Seatoller thendoes Honister. Then newlands from buttermere I think

PpPete

Legendary Member
That's right.

85 miler goes from Keswick, crosses Honister, then round to Hardknott & Wrynose, up "The Struggle" to the Kirkstone and back to Keswick. I know the Lakes very well on foot, but never ridden there. Sounds mad to go for the long one, but I know I can handle the distance, and I'll be riding a triple with a 26T granny ring, 12-30 cassette, so I can crawl up the steep bits without wearing myself out.

I'm just aiming to finish before dark....and be in better shape than the OH when she finishes the Lakeland 50 (ultramarathon run) at about 4 am Sunday.

Anyone who suggests we are going through a mid-life crisis... has got it absolutely right!

OP
OP
P

PMB

That's right.

85 miler goes from Keswick, crosses Honister, then round to Hardknott & Wrynose, up "The Struggle" to the Kirkstone and back to Keswick. I know the Lakes very well on foot, but never ridden there. Sounds mad to go for the long one, but I know I can handle the distance, and I'll be riding a triple with a 26T granny ring, 12-30 cassette, so I can crawl up the steep bits without wearing myself out.

I'm just aiming to finish before dark....and be in better shape than the OH when she finishes the Lakeland 50 (ultramarathon run) at about 4 am Sunday.

Anyone who suggests we are going through a mid-life crisis... has got it absolutely right!

Ive added some hills in the trough of bowland onto my commute. The thought of Honister is starting to scare me

sportsunday

Is anyone doing this?

choice of 3 routes but the distances are a bit staggered!!

11 miles family route

22 miiles hilly route

85 miles all major lakes passes and general sufferfest route

BTW

This is a FREE event, but it still has signage and sweep up wagon!!

sportsunday

Sportsunday are doing it! www.sportsunday.co.uk

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ive added some hills in the trough of bowland onto my commute.

Hmm - nice commute!

trough_of_bowland_wide.jpg

Garz

Squat Member
Hope you have nice weather, for some reason it has gone all crap lately!

Done both of the aforementioned areas this year, the lakes was a long 114 miler event and trough of bowland was a there and back from lancaster to see the nationals over near burnley. Enjoy!
smile.gif

OP
OP
P

PMB

Hope you have nice weather, for some reason it has gone all crap lately!

Done both of the aforementioned areas this year, the lakes was a long 114 miler event and trough of bowland was a there and back from lancaster to see the nationals over near burnley. Enjoy!
smile.gif

Got the itineary thru this morn.

Anyone any ideas on number of riders in this?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Weee !
what a fantastic ride....

Despite: walking up the steeper ramps on all 4 of the big hills, puncture on way down Honister, mechanical between Hardknott & Wrynose, and the weather, which made the later descents just a tad slippery....(just a few buttock clenching moments)

That has to be one the best rides i've ever done....

Utterly incredible that I've been visiting the Lakes for the last 45 years - and never ridden a bike there until Saturday.

For a new ride, organisation & support was good too. A big thumbs up if anyone planning to do it next year.

++++

and as a bonus, I wasn't quite lanterne rouge !

Crossers

Weee !
what a fantastic ride....

Despite: walking up the steeper ramps on all 4 of the big hills, puncture on way down Honister, mechanical between Hardknott & Wrynose, and the weather, which made the later descents just a tad slippery....(just a few buttock clenching moments)

That has to be one the best rides i've ever done....

Utterly incredible that I've been visiting the Lakes for the last 45 years - and never ridden a bike there until Saturday.

For a new ride, organisation & support was good too. A big thumbs up if anyone planning to do it next year.

++++

and as a bonus, I wasn't quite lanterne rouge !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glad you enjoyed it. I thought it was excellent day too .. You were right about the decent's in the wet... but it did brighten up after Patterdale.

dirtmbuk

As I have only been riding on the road for 5 months I thought I would have a crack at a sportive. I thought I would enter this as I was up in the area anyway.

Because I have never done one of these before I didn't know what to expect.

Well all I can say that this has be to one of the best days out on a bike I have every had. The signage was very clear and friendly of everyone was awesome.

Got a bit wet half way round, but i was in the middle of no where.

I did the 85 mile route which was really hard and I just made it round. I nearly got all the way up Hardknott pass.

Looking forward to it next year.

Top Bottom