Christiania, Bakfiet or custom?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I have a budget of about £250 - £300 to try and sort out a cargo bike for my wife so that she can cart stuff to the allotment and back, and (I'm possibly being optimistic here) so that I can cart my year old daughter about.

One of the issues is that the alleyway down the side of our house is quite narrow (I'll measure it later, but at a guess it's 1000mm wide), and if the bike can't fit down the alleyway it will be no good to us. So in which direction should focus my attentions? As I see it I have four choices (so any other suggestions will be appreciated):
  1. Search forever for a Christiana bike that is narrow enough
  2. Save up forever and buy a Bakfiet that is the correct width
  3. Find one of the above and get our very talented local bike doctor to customise it for me
  4. Get a custom bike built, and then possibly sell a kidney to pay for it
Any ideas?

trampyjoe

5. Get a MTB/Hybrid for your wife and get a trailer?

trampyjoe

My wife has a MTB but I slightly shot myself in the foot by talking at length about how bad MTBs are for road cycling when I was trying to justify the purchase of my first road bike :smile:
But MTBs are perfect for pulling trailers to the allotments, wider tires gives better traction for the added length of the trailer + bike combo.
Or some other rubbish to that effect! ;)

Hebe

getting better all the time
Check trailer width!

eta though of course that's obvious. I am still amazed by just how how wide our trailer is.

Top Bottom