Christmas “Homemade” Entertainment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The TV doesn’t go on in our house, if at all, until any guests have left. This year this was 10.45pm so we watched nothing.

We always play a variety of games. “Scattergories” is a must. This year my wife decided there would also be a quiz. Everyone was instructed to bring four questions with either a 2017 or Christmas theme. She made clear we would be in teams so to be aware coming armed with very difficult questions might disadvantage your teammates - I thought this quite subtle.

We split in two teams of four and each team was allowed to answer every question. It was a great success.

Really interesting to see the very diverse approaches, influences and questions people brought with them. Out of 36 questions only two were similar, both relating to reindeer!

I think setting quizzes must be great fun but also a real skill to give the majority the opportunity to answer most of the questions.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Sounds bliss

simon.r

Person
I devised a quiz, mainly about the 3 counties (Notts, Leics and Rutland) that our guests were from, with a few random rounds thrown in. It went surprisingly well with everyone from the 6 year old to the 84 year old taking part.

The first time I’ve done it and definitely something I’d recommend for post-meal entertainment.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
One thing we learned in this process is bonus points need to be carefully thought through - no one had done this.

We had several questions with bonus points. One or two bonus points has a marginal influence but bigger numbers can skew the results.

For example one question related to Desert Island Discs which was the answer plus a bonus for naming each of the regular presenters. Not getting the answer lost one five points not one.

Another which could have had big impact was “name Rudolph’s reindeer” with eight points at stake.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I pass the time by farting to the tune of Paul McCartney's Frog Chorus. A pastime best indulged before Christmas dinner.
Youtube video or it didn't happen.

slowwww

Veteran
I was doing the cooking of Christmas dinner as usual this year and my wife the tidying up before our guests arrived. I was hoping for some assistance from my daughters (11 and 13) but none was forthcoming as they were in the study playing on the computer, and so I was getting increasingly grouchy while seeking to avoid shouting at them as it's Christmas and 'apparently' you're not allowed to do that then.

2 hours later my girls came in and presented us with the quiz that they'd been working on all morning. 4 topics, 80 questions in all, including a 'who are they or where were we' picture round they'd cropped from our photos, and 'beat the intro' music round. They'd even already decided upon teams and produced answer sheets for each and re-wrapped some of their sweets as a prize!

It was really well done but just sufficiently amateur to make it apparent that it wasn't a 'cut-and-paste' job from the Internet. It took us about an hour to complete and most said it was the highlight of the day. I was so proud and not a little guilty about thinking so badly of them earlier in the day!

winjim

Smash the cistern
We (my wife & I) have just mullered the rest of the family at Hare & Tortoise. We are very happy.

Top Bottom