Christmas blitz on London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

semtex

Evening/Morning, chaps/chapettes. This is my first post so go easy on me!

Christmas is coming, and with christmas comes all the lights, sights and sounds. So, what I and a friend want to do in the not too distant future is do our own evening cycle tour of London, to see it all and have possible 'life enhancing' experiences with the traffic (!).

Essentially, this is what we have, and what we'd like to acheive:

We've both got phones running tomtom, hooked up to bluetooth earpieces - ideally this is what we'd like to use for guidance whilst zipping through the city.

We'll be coming from Suffolk by train into Kings Cross, where this 'tour' will begin. I'd like to cover a good 15-20 miles.

So, is TomTom going to be the best way to do it? and if so/if not, do any of you london based members have any suggestions for the itinerary?

And what the hell, if any other members fancied it, why not come along? I'm looking at 1st or 2nd weekend of December...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Sounds like a fun way to spend an evening! One caveat - if you've got earpieces in I hope your encounters with traffic are just life-enhancing rather than life-threatening!!!!
Seriously, I don't live there so I'd not know what's best. Someone else will be along soon. I'd have thought Oxford Street would be worth a look, and maybe some of the bridges.

OP
OP
S

semtex

yeah, thats what i'm thinking - all the well known glitzy places. As for the earpieces - its literally just one of those bluetooth ear thingys that hangs off your ear and connects to your phone wireless - they really don't block out surrounding sounds or get in the way.

Places I can think of so far, in no particular order (feel free to add to the list!):

Oxford Street
Carnaby Street
Golden Jubilee bridge
London Eye
St Pauls
Tower Bridge
Camden Town (anywhere really, I just like it there)
Canary Wharf
Royal Albert Hall
Somerset House
Leicester Square

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
One good way to see London is to criss cross over the bridges going east to west starting at Tower Bridge.
A lot of the major sights are very close to the river. The West End, Oxford St, Regent St. Piccadilly, Buckingham Palace etc. are all in about 4 sq miles of each other. :biggrin:

radger

Veteran
The best views of Tower Bridge are from London Bridge, IMO. Depending on the day, the City of London can be chock-a-block or empty (weekends for empty) and it's pretty interesting. There are bits of south London worth checking out - Greenwich, and then the bit of the South Bank from London Bridge to Waterloo (you have to be a pedestrian for some of it). The Embankment's pretty much a dual carriageway too, so the South Bank's a good way to avoid it. Then you can cross the river and head for Trafalgar Square and the West End.

Bah, I really miss cycling in London; I'm jealous.

ComedyPilot said:
Christmas blitz on London......

I thought the Jerries were up to their old tricks again!!

Blitz and Semtex in the same thread. The GHCQ supercomputers just went red. :biggrin:

Have a look at Tower Hamlets Wheelers or Greenwich Wheelers websites. They often run Christmas rides at this time of year, sometimes themed, sometimes just a bimble, and they'd be delighted to have you come along.

sloe

Semtex. Hmmm. London. Hmmm. What does that remind me of?

Hmmm. Semtex. Tubes. Hmmmm.

Nope. Cant remember.

London. Hmmm.

Merry Xmas.

(apologies)

OP
OP
S

semtex

tdr1nka said:
One good way to see London is to criss cross over the bridges going east to west starting at Tower Bridge.
A lot of the major sights are very close to the river.

Now that sounds like a good plan, thanks.

radger said:
The best views of Tower Bridge are from London Bridge, IMO.

Agreed!

Twenty Inch said:
Have a look at Tower Hamlets Wheelers or Greenwich Wheelers websites. They often run Christmas rides at this time of year, sometimes themed, sometimes just a bimble, and they'd be delighted to have you come along.

Thanks, will check them out.

Top Bottom