Christmas hate message from the R.H.A .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
1653834 said:
But you don't have to buy everything that gets carted about.
I don't? That's a relief, I was beginning to run out of shed space

subaqua

What’s the point
The money spent providing roads for haulage companies to drive big lorries on (motorways, 'upgrading' dual carriageways etc) is taxpayer's money, not private money.
m6 toll ?? other PFI schemes . doesn't really matter whenever the rail regulator gets fined its the public who have to pay out.

that aside ned as i shall call mr flanders is just a tosser.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
What ever you think of Flanders' rant privately, it comes at a time of high emotion for many in London. Many people have died because of having to share with HGVs in difficult urban environments. The most recent were, it appears, not inexperienced riders likely to have ridden up the inside and put themselves in a blindspot.

I'm sure their families want to read Flanders' ranting. He does nothing to bridge the gap of understanding and improve safety like that.

OP
OP
snorri

snorri

Legendary Member
What ever you think of Flanders' rant privately, it comes at a time of high emotion for many in London.
Flanders is the RHA Director for Scotland, I think it is better to write to the RHA HQ and ask them if Flanders statement has the approval of the RHA.
Flanders is the regular guy the Scottish media go to for a quote when road haulage issues are in the news north of the border. Whilst not necessarily agreeing with his views, he usually comes over as a reasonable person, but this article is lazily copied from a New Zealand writer. Flanders has not even adjusted it to suit UK legal requirements,re lighting and taxation. Interestingly he hasn't included a helmet rant, probably because NZ cylists are already required to wear these.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Flanders is the RHA Director for Scotland, I think it is better to write to the RHA HQ and ask them if Flanders statement has the approval of the RHA.
Flanders is the regular guy the Scottish media go to for a quote when road haulage issues are in the news north of the border. Whilst not necessarily agreeing with his views, he usually comes over as a reasonable person, but this article is lazily copied from a New Zealand writer. Flanders has not even adjusted it to suit UK legal requirements,re lighting and taxation. Interestingly he hasn't included a helmet rant, probably because NZ cylists are already required to wear these.

I think it goes without saying that most of us don't have any issues with haulage, many of us even respect them and have had good experiences where we are.

But yes - the article was indeed CnP'd rather crudely.

He's quite right.... I am now realise how unenlightened I am

I now realise that the incident with the HGV that pulled out on me at a junction on Friday, (despite over 1800 Lumens of front lights, no Ipod, having Insurance, riding single file and using an AirZound at full blast) was entirely my fault, and that recording the incident and forwarding it to his employers is victimising the driver in the worst possible way!

dawesome

That's the weirdest thing, he seems to be warning drivers not to do anything illegal cos cyclists have cams. So he's more worried about detection than stopping the crime!

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
I thought it was all about safe passage on the roads? Ironic that a mode of transport that causes mayhem on the motorways does not want us cyclists in their way! Lorries will get bigger and roads will get wider as we go in search of cheaper raw materials further away. It's progress and who are we to get in the way :thumbsup:

StuartG

slower but further
I have driven lorries when I was young. I have the deepest respect for the great guys (well very nearly all guys) who drive those great artics round London for Sainsbury, Asda, Tescos .. etc. You can tell most of the time they are looking out for you in contrast to the guy in Astra behind.

We have a real problem with a subsection of the trade. Mostly construction related and down to the company employment policies (or lack thereof) and maintenence issues. These, as well as being lethal to us, are damaging to the rest of the trade and particularly any direct competitor who tries to operate legally and ethically by cutting corners, and not only left ones!

It should be in the RHA's self-interest to rid itself of these cowboys. I agree we should be trying to build bridges with the RHA. Hopefully someone within the organisation will be having a quiet word. Or maybe a loud one.

Changing tack - is it my imagination that the new Secretary of State is a lot quieter on the 'War on the Motorist' than her predecessor? Seems to be concentrating on winning her own party back by kicking HS2 into the long grass/tunnel ...

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
I'm the group fleet manager for one of the UK's largest utility companies (sorry) but as such we have membership of the RHA for our 7000+ vehicle fleet, that is until Thursday 05th January when I go back to work, consider them "terminated" and I will personally quote the "Fladers rant" as the sole reason. Remember folks, the pen IS mightier than the sword !!

I'm the group fleet manager for one of the UK's largest utility companies (sorry) but as such we have membership of the RHA for our 7000+ vehicle fleet, that is until Thursday 05th January when I go back to work, consider them "terminated" and I will personally quote the "Fladers rant" as the sole reason. Remember folks, the pen IS mightier than the sword !!
Proper brilliant!

Top Bottom