Christmas hate message from the R.H.A .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan_h

With that attitude I think he is unsuitable for the job he holds.

As I mentioned on the Cyclists vs HGV thread - I've seen a Renault Clio shunted down a road by an idiot that 'didn't know it was there'. That had lights, tax, insurance, and all his other requirements to be allowed on his roads: What punitive action does he recommend against all cars?

CamPhil

It's become obvious that blindness is regarded as a positive attribute in the road haulage industry.
And it's high time for an example to be set, starting from the top.

I don't believe any vehicle should be allowed to operate without banksmen in a public place if it is impossible by reason of it's construction or configuration to see a child sized object placed anywhere around it.

Any that don't conform to that standard should be outlawed, unless the operators are prepared to provide said banksmen to protect their movements in all public places.
It wouldn't be allowed of any other piece of industrial machinery, so there's no good reason to exempt the haulage industry from normal safety requirements.

Yes, it would put up haulage costs, but why should road haulage (and only road haulage) be subsidised with lives?
How much was the rail industry made to spend after the Hatfield or Potters Bar crashes?
How many people did they kill?
If road haulage was held to the same standards, there wouldn't be such an economic advantage over rail.

Mad at urage

The money spent providing roads for haulage companies to drive big lorries on (motorways, 'upgrading' dual carriageways etc) is taxpayer's money, not private money.

Dan B

Disengaged member
The money spent by haulage is added to the price of the goods they haul. As the ultimate customer I don't see much effective difference between paying for safety with my taxes or with my grocery bill - so hardly a fundamental flaw

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
fundamnetal flaw in your post . the money spent by rail was taxpayer money not private money.
Although the whole road network that the trucks drive on was built using public money, compared to the private money that built the railway lines. I'm sure the road hauliers would have struggled if they'd had to build all their own infrastructure.

Top Bottom