Is this the driver of the car's fault?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I saw the headlines and thought I'd see some really terrible driving, but looking at it a few times I'm not sure now. The car pulls out slowly, not erratically as you'd expect and with the articles not giving the speed limit on the road you can't say the cyclist was going over the speed limit or not, but she's certainly going at speed, Maybe she should've read the situation and took evasive action to avoid hitting the car. Seeing her fly over the car's roof reminded me of my similar incident in April 2015 when I was doing about 28 mph in a 30 mph zone when the approaching me car, suddenly turned right in front of me. I hit the car and like the woman in the video flew over the roof of the car. Unlike her I only suffered a slight pulled muscle and a dislocated little finger. According to the police it was the 'boy racer's' 5th motoring offence. He lost his license for I think it was 2 years, then he had to re-take his test, but there wasn't a mention of a custodial sentence like this bloke in the video has been given. If that driver in the video had pulled out a split second before she got there I'd say he was totally in the wrong, but to pull out slowly like he did I don't know! 🤔

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...kless-driver-ploughs-elderly-cyclist-sending-

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/horrifying-moment-cyclist-sent-spinning-28358687

DRM

Guru
Yes, totally at fault as they didn't give way at the crossroads & certainly weren't looking or being observant

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Bike was on main carriageway, car entered from side road and didn’t give way to the traffic on the main carriageway. Car driver in the wrong. He should have looked properly.

Reactions: C R

winjim

Smash the cistern
Can't see any cause for doubt in that footage. It appears as though the driver followed out the car in front of them without checking properly.

It's a give way. They didn't give way.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Bike was on main carriageway, car entered from side road and didn’t give way to the traffic on the main carriageway. Car driver in the wrong. He should have looked properly.

But does it warrant a year in prison, when we hear of much worse incidents with fines and suspended sentences being given. I'm not taking sides here, but what will a year (probably do 6 months) inside achieve?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The speed limit is irrelevant.

So if the limit is 30 and the cyclist is breaking that speed limit then does that not count?

Alex321

Veteran
Completely 100% the car driver's fault.

You simply do not cross a road like that, from a give way, when there is crossing traffic. The bike may have been travelling fast, mbut wasn['t breaking any laws and ha a perfect right to be doing so, and to not expect a car to just pull straight into her.

boydj

Legendary Member
How can you even ask the question? The police and courts clearly think the driver was clearly at fault. I very much doubt that the cyclist was anywhere near 30mph.

The car driver's view to his left was at least partially blocked by the car in front turning left. He then did not stop at the line, but pulled out without properly checking that the road was clear. The cyclist - a 71 year-old lady - must have been there to be seen if the driver had looked properly.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
If the article's had given the speed limit on that road it would've helped a lot!

It wouldn't have helped in the slightest, even if the speed limit aplpied to bicycles, since we have no idea just what speed she as travelling. It is almost impossible for anybody who isn't an expert in such matters to judge the speed of something like that, particularly from a video.

And having just looked at the road on streetview, it is a 30 limit, since there are no repeaters around, having looked a few hundred yards in both directions. And I would be very surprised indeed if she was doing more than 30.

Last edited:
Top Bottom