Is this the driver of the car's fault?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Obviously we don't know the details, but 12 months imprisonment does seem a bit harsh compared to a number is previously discussed incidents. I suspect there must be more to this to receive such a sentence though.

He must've had quite a few previous offences, not necessarily motoring offences, to get a year inside. 🤔

johnnyb47

Guru
100% the drivers fault.They should of stopped,checked the road out and then proceeded.I do think the 1 year imprisonment was a bit harsh though.The driver was driving without due care for attention as against to reckless driving.It scary though to see how things can quickly unfold in things like this

The sentence does seem a lot compared with other things

I mean the injury was bad but the actual problem was not seeing the cyclist
which is pretty bad but similar things have resulted in injury and had a FAR less severe sentence

does make you think the driver had previous convictions

tyred

Legendary Member
I’d consider that good roadcraft.

I always look well ahead for cars waiting to pull out of junctions and side roads – using lateral movement to make myself more conspicuous but ready in case they pull out.

I've always done that too.

When I got hit, I had observed the van approach the junction and saw it slow to a crawl a bit before the stop line. The problem was that instead of actually stopping, he then accelerated and hit me side on. He said he just didn't see me.

johnnyb47

Guru
I'm not suggesting this driver was, but when out cycling it's shocking the amount of times I smell cannabis coming from cars as they pass.If I can smell it from the outside,god knows how strong it must be inside the car.
On a busy ish roads i can smell it every mile or so.
Being drugged up to the eye balls whilst behind the wheel isn't going to end well for vulnerable road users such as cyclists

Bristolian

I'm not suggesting this driver was, but when out cycling it's shocking the amount of times I smell cannabis coming from cars as they pass.If I can smell it from the outside,god knows how strong it must be inside the car.
On a busy ish roads i can smell it every mile or so.
Being drugged up to the eye balls whilst behind the wheel isn't going to end well for vulnerable road users such as cyclists

This is something I have noticed too. I fancy drug driving is more prevalent these days than drink driving ... or maybe they go hand in hand :ohmy: :sad:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
This is something I have noticed too. I fancy drug driving is more prevalent these days than drink driving ... or maybe they go hand in hand :ohmy: :sad:
A user of cocaine told me that he used to smoke cannabis and drive, but he now takes cocaine instead and drives as cocaine is only detectable through a roadside drug test, unlike 'weed' which stinks to high heaven. He seemed to think that he wasn't doing anything wrong in taking a class A drug then driving!!

Alex321

Veteran
100% the drivers fault.They should of stopped,checked the road out and then proceeded.I do think the 1 year imprisonment was a bit harsh though.The driver was driving without due care for attention as against to reckless driving.It scary though to see how things can quickly unfold in things like this

It was in Crown court, not magistrates, and the sentence for that crime is up to two year imprisonment on indictment. The fact it was in Crown court (it is an "either way" offence) suggests there was more to take into account than just what we see on the video.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes it was certainly the drivers fault.

I am not victim blaming, its just an observation. For a 71 year old, she was tanking down that road. Maybe that had something to do with the drivers mis-judgement.
.I also thought a year in prison for careless driving rwas a bit harsh. He didnt drive off and he gave assistance immediately. There was no malice in it. He was just careless.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes it was certainly the drivers fault.

I am not victim blaming, its just an observation. For a 71 year old, she was tanking down that road. Maybe that had something to do with the drivers mis-judgement.
.I also thought a year in prison for careless driving rwas a bit harsh. He didnt drive off and he gave assistance immediately. There was no malice in it. He was just careless.
It appears to be a downhill section, from the picture posted earlier.

As for "misjudgment", would the driver have made the same error of ignoring the road markings if it had been something larger?

Top Bottom