What do you want in the place of cars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
I've just been asked by a motorist on Twitter.

So far, off the top of my head I've got:
  • Public transport that isn't more expensive and less convenient
  • Low traffic networks that encourage walking and cycling
  • An end to subsidies for cars
  • Communities that don't force people into car use unnecessarily
  • Car sharing schemes
  • Practical bike space on buses & trains
  • End regressive car pricing by converting fixed costs to variable costs (see also car sharing above)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Public transport that works, but we've been stuffed by Rishi 'oop North, all power to the car and no HS2 - but that's a bit political.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Safe outside bike parking for people living in flats, terraced properties to encourage bike ownership.
More bike parking facilities and lockers, etc. at public venues such as shopping malls, cinemas,
Clear, properly enforced legislation around the use of electric bikes & scooters.
Joined-up public transport with sensible timings and fares encouraging multi-modal travel.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I've just been asked by a motorist on Twitter.

So far, off the top of my head I've got:
  • Public transport that isn't more expensive and less convenient
  • Low traffic networks that encourage walking and cycling
  • An end to subsidies for cars
  • Communities that don't force people into car use unnecessarily
  • Car sharing schemes
  • Practical bike space on buses & trains
  • End regressive car pricing by converting fixed costs to variable costs (see also car sharing above)

First on your list would useful.

I don't want cars replaced - what I do want is to see smaller, less performance orientated cars eg, little 1-2 person runabouts and small family cars being the norm. So, no huge SUV's non-working pickups and high performance cars.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Trams or Trains throughout the city. Or at least JUST ONE that goes from Plymouth city centre to the north of the city. Currently you can only go East towards Exeter, or West towards Cornwall. There is a huge amount of car traffic going north, for which there are only buses which are late and full of school kids.

To be fair, Plymouth now has 500 Beryl bikes; my ex's son uses one to go to work at Morrison's. It cost £1 + 15p/minute. So costs him about £3 to get to work, not that bad. I hardly see anyone using them though. It's all very well putting these things in place, but another thing to get people to use them

Cleaner towns and cities with walkable neighbourhoods and good public transport.
Good quality rural public transport.
Good quality cycle infrastructure.
More pedestrianised people friendly streets.

Fortunately, if you work to achieve the above you automatically get less cars.

Sharky

Guru
Think it's horses for courses, but the golfers wouldn't like that.

Two of our daughters live in se London and are forever popping onto buses, trains, tubes and Uber, and it all works well for them.

We live outside the m25 in a smallish village, with quite a few shops, so often walk to them. But for the larger shops and towns, public transport is just not there, so cars are essential

Top Bottom