Christmas pudding testing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
we are on our 3rd Christmas pudding for testing purposes only so far we have tried a Morrisons Value , Aldi Value and a Co op one (cant remember which one )

and so far its the Cop op one that is winning

we do have a Tesco Christmas pudding (laced with brandy,cider and port) to try

Mince pie tasting has yet to start

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I like my christmas puddings cold, sliced and buttered.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
The best ones I've had over the years are Tesco finest and the Duchy of Cornwall. This year we've potential for the cherry topped Tesco finest.

vernon

[QUOTE 2798447, member: 259"]And the Fortnum and Mason King George one only got 33/100 and the comment was "dry, bland and unappealing".[/quote]

Yes but it was reassuringly expensively 'dry bland and unappealing'

vernon

[QUOTE 2798589, member: 259"]They do throw in a free china basin, but what a humiliation - being beaten by the Germans, who don't even eat the stuff.[/quote]

Ah, but were the Aldi puddings German made?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
This. Christmas pudding is just about the easiest thing in the world to make. Liberally soak the fruit in booze, mix in the rest of the ingredients and either microwave relatively briefly or boil/steam for a long time.

Every commercial pudding I've ever had has been far too sweet - if you make your own you can moderate the recipe. Personally I like the version with lashings of beer.

Stephen C

Über Member
I made my first one last year, but had to use gluten free flour (GF is a Coeliac, so not a fad diet) and it made it brilliantly light whilst still being a fruity, boozey, spicey mess, the current batch is being steamed as I type, smells gorgeous :hungry:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm to only one who eats it in our house. And it makes me fart. So we don't 'do' much in the way of Christmas puddings. I have made a Christmas cake this year though, which has come out well.

colly

Re member eR
[QUOTE 2798648, member: 259"]My mum used to do a very good one with milk stout.[/quote]
Home made here. :thumbsup:

Me mum used Watney's Cream Stout. Not available now so far as I know.* So Mackeson's is just the job.

It looks good, tastes good, and by golly it does you good.

*leastways not around these parts

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There's only me in our house who eats Christmas puddings or mince pies. Last year i didn't even bother opening the pudding,i'd bought the year before. I found it the other week at the back of the cupboard 5 months out of date,so i left it opened in a local woods for the birds or small animals to pick at. Two days later it'd gone.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom