Christmas tree lights - transformer/plug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

I've noticed the LED multi-lights for the Christmas tree aren't fused within the combined 3-pin plug/transformer...... there is no visible 'panel' to remove and access a fuse, nor is there an inline fuse. There is a CE sticker on the side though :laugh: . Is this usual? Is there a characteristic (with LEDs) that they act as a fuse if there is a problem?

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I believe the transformer drops the voltage down to 12v and it doesn't need a fuse. Trouble is if the transformer blows, the light are useless.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I believe the transformer drops the voltage down to 12v and it doesn't need a fuse. Trouble is if the transformer blows, the light are useless.

This - sick of the number of LED lights that fail - no better reliability than the old lamps. This, or I've been unlucky with Xmas lights.

presta

Guru
there is no visible 'panel' to remove and access a fuse, nor is there an inline fuse
Have you looked inside?
Is this usual?
It's usual for wallcubes to have no external fuse, I've never seen one that has. The one off my old ansafone has the output fused but not the input, so clearly some classes of equipment are exempt from any requirement for overcurrent protection in the primary circuit.

Tenkaykev

Guru
There's usually a solid state fuse as part of the power supply circuit board. Check out " Big Clive " on YouTube if you're interested in an offbeat analysis of various bits and pieces of consumer electronics.

dicko

Guru
I can remember in 1950 Dad bought a set of 12 bulbs, which screwed imto the holders, and we’re connected to a plug straight into the 240 volt mains. Each bulb was 20 volts no fuse on those.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
This - sick of the number of LED lights that fail - no better reliability than the old lamps. This, or I've been unlucky with Xmas lights.

I find the LED string lights to be far better than the old push bulb ones. We’ve loads of sets from years ago.

What are rubbish is the energy saving bulbs which last no longer than filament ones.

Top Bottom