Christmas Trees - How do you do yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Originally just lights and baubles, but over the years and for various reasons, all sorts has accumulated on it. Glass angels bought from a hospice where my step father died shortly before Christmas, a couple of decorations my girls made when they were younger, as a couple of examples.
I noticed this year a hedgehog stuffed toy has appeared in the branches. :rolleyes:

Julia9054

Guru
Growing up we used to have a branch painted silver and baubles hung from that. Wrapping paper was re-used from year to year. Never ever had lights. A product of my parents' war experience I guess.

Wish we still did that, I think Xmas trees are a complete and utter waste of money.
I agree. Plus the headache of what to do with it afterwards. I have a twisted willow tree in the garden so I stick a few branches of that in a pot and hang deccies on it. I scrunch the fairy lights into the top of the pot

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No pics as it was a few years ago when my palm tree was indoors, not outdoors like now, but 4 years ago I put baubles and tinsel on my palm tree. I could still decorate it, even if it's now outside in the 'communal garden', but no point as they are so miserable around here. I'm the only one out of 16 flats that has a Christmas window decoration/light! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
"Is Blue A Christmas Colour?
The answer is absolutely yes! Blue has actually shown a strong presence in our 2022/23 Colour Report. What we’re seeing now across the globe is a resurgence of a blue Christmas which will endure through the next several years, but it’s not just one shade of blue. It’s actually quite far from that – the trending shades of blue changes across consumer moods, aspirations and style preferences."

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I don't know whether it is a family thing or whether there is a North / South divide when it comes to decorating a Christmas Tree.

Growing up we always had tinsel, baubles and coloured lights. Now that I live down South we follow my wife's family traditions which include a ban on Tinsel, and lights have to be white. Occasionally elegant beads may be permitted but the tree has to look elegant.

Peripheral decorations also have to have a degree of elegance, so no paper chains or ceiling garlands, no Christmas cards hung on fishing line on the wall.
I still think it feels a bit bare, even after 17 years of this!!

On the flip side, we never had outside decorations and my adoptive family are into this big time (although still rules exist around colours and placement).

So - how do you do yours? Are we midlanders / northerners just more tacky than the southerners...?

Let the festive battle commence!
I'm originally a southerner, and we did tacky tacky tacky, but the Northern ex-Mrs Fnaar insisted on the white lights and non-tacky approach. It was a class thing, not geographical. I crossed the tracks into her middle class world :okay:
These days I am free to go tacky if I choose :laugh:

mpemburn

Like this. It’s our Yule Tree, since we’re of the Wiccan sort.

Attachments

• 6BDC595F-755E-4297-935B-89F0857FAD4F.jpeg
    6BDC595F-755E-4297-935B-89F0857FAD4F.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 14
Never was big on birthdays, anniversaries etc but over the years realised how putting up a Christmas tree has an effect on the atmosphere, bonding of family, neighbours and a break from rigours of life.

Even the neighbourhood comes alive at night as lights flash thru the windows. And some have decorations adorning their garden and their house.

Credit to people who go out of their way to tastefully decorate and lighten up their tree, home and garden and it does not have to be expensive. And many of us benefit from the goodwill. We do have some creative people in our midst.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I've not put one up this year, again.

Mr Cookiemonster and myself usually go away at this time of year, usually to see friends in Japan but, due to Covid, we're staying with friends in Lamma, HK this year.

So, we never usually put one up. No real point.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I don't have a Christmas tree. I have not put one up for about 25 years. They are just dust catchers and are a real faff.

As a kid, we always had real Christmas trees. Usually about 8 feet tall decorated with glass baubles and tinsel. The baubles were kept in cardboard boxes with cotton wool inside to protect them from being broken.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I'm originally a southerner, and we did tacky tacky tacky, but the Northern ex-Mrs Fnaar insisted on the white lights and non-tacky approach. It was a class thing, not geographical. I crossed the tracks into her middle class world :okay:

Interesting. Now I'm from solid middle class stock (both parents teachers) whereas my wife is from working class stock now moved middle class...

Ripple

Veteran
That's the one I bought for work. To be more precise - for our position. Offices always got their Xmas trees but not other places at work. So it's a pleasant surprise for everybody.

It's a silver 3.5 feet tree with lights already installed. I bought golden and red toys separately.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Our tree is over 25 years old now, and gets the coloured lights, tinsel, and bauble treatment every year. The baubles though have gradually changed over the years to be replaced with hand made decorations that our now 18yr old son made at nursery, primary school , and as a beaver and cub scout. Wouldn't change them for the world, as each one has a memory and history behind it.

Top Bottom