Christopher Froome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
Always the bridesmaid...

Named as the leader in the provisional Sky team for the Vuelta, but realistically can he carry form through to a second GT? Looking at Contador last year, Scarponi this year in Giro then nowhere in the tour, Wiggins in 2010 Giro and Tour it doesn't happen often. I can only think of Pantani to have won concurrent GT's in the same year in recent times, and we know he wasn't just fuelled by his mums Italian cooking. If Froome really believed that he could have won the tour this year, and at times it seemed he could have done, then his form was that of a GT winner and so surely he should struggle in Spain?

So if he does struggle, combined with the icey reception with Wiggins after the TT today, and no tv appearance whilst golden boy Brad is lapping it up on bbc1 right now, will he go to another team for 2013?

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
I was going to post something similar on another thread earlier, I'd personally wager that the odds are against Froome being at Sky next year.

Now, Im the farthest thing from an expert on the ins-and-outs of pro-cycling, but my observations are thus;

Played second fiddle to Wiggers throughout the Tour - ok team orders, but
Didnt always look particularly happy in doing so. There were a good few stages when he looked the better of the two, and which stage was it he pretty much attacked Bradley on a climb?
Following said stage, his post race interview was telling. All talk of team work and protecting the GC, but his body language and tone said otherwise.
So he ends this years Tour with a highly respectable second place as a support rider, but maybe asking what could have been if he wasnt protecting team orders?

On top of that, he's had his share of noteworthy results in the last year or two. Nows the time he'll be thinking I can do things for myself surely?

All this would be irrelevant of there was any hint that Froome would be given a crack at the whip next year, but

Didnt Bailsford say in the TdF come-down that Wiggo can still do better than he did this year; i.e Sky are going to push him as their best bet to protect the GC next year? Now, I know it would depend on the Tour construct next year, but given Brad's form on the TTs and the fact that we didnt burn out on the climbs as some were expecting, unless next years Tour is layed up to be stupidly climb heavy, surely Sky will stick with him for at least one more go around? I mean the Cav situation is one thing, he gave up the Green for the GC, but how much longer would someone like Froome forgo the Yellow?

Then to top it all, we go to the Olympics. Froome wins a bronze; again this should be a highlight of his career. He sees his teammate and (technically) fellow countryman in the form of his life take the gold and become our most successful Olympian in the process. Surely something a bit warmer than a wry smile should be in the offing?

I'm probably talking out of my behind - please someone with more insight put me right - but could it be possible that Froome will very quickly get very tired of living in Brad's shadow?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
but could it be possible that Froome will very quickly get very tired of living in Brad's shadow?
I think he already is.

He must feel that he had a golden opportunity to win the tour this year had he been given his head. He knows he could have taken time out of Wiggins in the mountains and there is a possibility Brad may well have lost time to Nibali had Froome not stayed to help him. Taking nothing away from Wiggo in saying that BTW, but Froome will quite rightly have ambitions of his own and won't be content with the role of second fiddle again.

screenman

Legendary Member
I think Sky did the right thing in backing the favourite with a proven history. Who knows what might have happened, but we sure know what did happen.

screenman

Legendary Member
Looking back at history I remember Froome beating Wiggo only shortly after Wiggo broke his shoulder, was there any other history of this happening?

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
You can't deny that Sky did the best for Sky; they put their all-rounder - the guy with the form and the best chance in the box seat and in doing so delivered the team goal massively ahead of schedule. It would have made little sense to back anyone other than Brad going into the Tour.

I guess the other question in all of this is where could Froome go to get the ride he wants?

Will BMC stick with Cadel again? Or maybe take a punt and say that Tejay can have a proper go at the yellow next time around having won the white?

Is Nibali remotely likely to move from Canondale?

I wouldnt think theres much room over at Radioshack?

Saxobank have Contador back...

Genuine question.

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
Radioshack probably won't exist next year, Nibali has already signed for Astana.

albion

Guru
I'd suggest the team adds a climber and if they have to, drop Cav.
Wiggins and Froome work work for each other but also have a nominated climber for their own designs.

A few rules could mean the team leader only becomes apparent after the first few climbing days.

I got to feel for the lad, any other year his achievements would be front page sports news, 2nd in the TdF, Olympic TT medallist, great effort, great results, but all overshadowed by Wiggins' fantastic form and historic results. However, he is still pretty young, and I think his best years are still to come. Sky did well to stick by him during his illness, and he has repaid that faith admirably. Wherever he winds up, or stays with sky, he will do alright and Froomedog will have his day in the sun no doubt.
I was saying tonight to some folk how shocked I was at the awful insults being hurled his way by some interweb forum types, pretty poor show really.

raindog

er.....
I was saying tonight to some folk how shocked I was at the awful insults being hurled his way by some interweb forum types, pretty poor show really.
It's the same for Brad on certain forums.

Froome's GF has alot to answer for with twittergate. Something not nice going on behind the scenes.

Top Bottom