Chrome platers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good news, I have managed to aquire "his and hers" 1930s lightweights, a very nice small Rudge (complete with "John Bull" tyres) for Moon Bunny and its shedmate, a Norman, for me, with some catalogues and magazines that were going to go to the tip. All for not much more than the asking.
Bad news, although the steel doesn't look to have suffered much, the chrome plating is just about shot, so we're looking at 2 bikes worth of chainset, handlebars, seat posts, hubs and small parts, perhaps the fork ends, to be stripped and replated.It's not going to be cheap. The plater I used to go to doesn't exist anymore.
So, does anyone have any recommended platers? Preferably in the North of England.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Derby Plating
http://www.derbyplating.co.uk/
have a good reputation, my mate has used them for his concours car.

sidevalve

Über Member
As above but check the classic m/cycle / car press. Some will collect and deliver to your door too.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
These are the people you want.
http://www.yell.com/biz/prestige-electro-plating-mexborough-993510/
I know they are not in the north, but I don't know of any platers around here, there used to be some in Manchester but they've long since shut their doors. They were recommended to me by a chap that is involved with classic motorbikes (in Dalton funnily enough). I sent a load of old motorbike bits to them and they did a great job. They do a lot of work for the classic car guys (and they are a picky bunch!) so can get busy.

A lot of electro-platers shut up shop, I've been told, due to the hassle with the chemicals involved and the disposal of the nasty stuff like hydrochloric acid etc. I guess it was getting too expensive to get rid of. Goodness knows what they used to do with the stuff before the legislation tightened up! :eek:

Owd Fella

+1 for Prestige Platers, they do a lot of work for classic bike restorers and are mountain bikers themselves. It may take a while as they are busy but worth the wait. Unlike some platers they don't polish an item to death before plating, very important if there is some engraving etc. on the parts.

Dino75

Regular
I used Crown Polishing and Plating, Derry St., Wolverhampton.
Good finish and reasonable prices for double (not triple) plating, but you need to list and photograph parts before parting with them as it's a very busy place.
They had the contract for the Olympic torches for 2012...

Top Bottom