Chroming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnymak

Looking for information on chroming.
Interested to know when it was introduced on bike parts
Like on forks , chainstays ect

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Relatedly, has anyone tried that chrome-look enamel paint?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Been around since forever. It's bad for the steel (enbrittles it, Tony Oliver wouldn't do it to any of his frames) and adds weight but was popular on and off. Some metal has to be removed by polishing the steel first, then it's copper, nickel and chrome in that order. Restoring old rusty chrome is really difficult because you have to grind off all that stuff and start again, usually losing more metal from an already-pitted tube. Better to roughen, acid-etch prime and paint over.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Relatedly, has anyone tried that chrome-look enamel paint?

Yep - it's not chrome, but silver. Bought some to use it as touch up for my silver Boardman (it's chrom-ish) and it's near enough the same colour as a silver Boardman, but definitely not Chrome.

I had my best bike chromed on the rear triangle and forks when it was built. Mainly because it was a race bike, and would be in and out of the car. Was done for aesthetics and a super durable finish. Still looks fab, 30 years later.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Been around since forever. It's bad for the steel (enbrittles it, Tony Oliver wouldn't do it to any of his frames) and adds weight but was popular on and off. Some metal has to be removed by polishing the steel first, then it's copper, nickel and chrome in that order. Restoring old rusty chrome is really difficult because you have to grind off all that stuff and start again, usually losing more metal from an already-pitted tube. Better to roughen, acid-etch prime and paint over.

My builder wouldn't do it on Columbus TSX, so I went with SLX. Adds slight weight, as you say, but if looked after, lasts very well.

OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

I've seen a few early carltons featuring chrome so I'm taking it chroming was evident on frames and forks in the 60.s on english biult bikes

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Much earlier than that, too. Track frames were often fully chromed, which sort of makes sense as they get dragged around a lot from venue to venue, rarely get wet and are never used on salted roads.

The chroming process was developed in about 1926 and certainly by the early 30s chrome was common on cars and motorbikes

In the US chroming shops are all but totally extinct. It’s an environmentally filthy process, acids...heavy metals...and other yukky stuff involved in the process. I live in south Southern California where there are still a handful of “metal polishing” shops who do the labor-intensive polishing and cleaning and if asked nicely and paid pricely, will send your parts on a mexican vacation for the copper, nickel, and chrome plating treatment all done south of the border.

I know contemporary autos, bikes and motorcycles are largely going chrome-less (Harley-Davidson notwithstanding) but I’m from a different era and chrome still makes me smile.

My Brompton’s few touches of chrome (seatpost...steering bearings, and front hub) really give a nod to it’s 1970’s origins when chrome was still a thing. I dig it!

midlife

Guru
Cost for chrome went mental in the 70's and aside from the big manufacturers it almost disappeared.

Love a bit of chrome on a bike, my first proper bike was an chrome Cobra :smile:

Top Bottom