Chuffed to bits!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

so i've had a clicking noise on my hybrid for ages and finally got round to doing something about it today. Having read advice online and in books i tried to tighten the crank which didn't make a difference but when i oiled the inside of the right pedal - bingo! the clicking as gone. And no need for the lbs.

can the day get any better...?

I decide to wash my bike and relube and find that my road bike has two broken spokes. LBS or try to mend it myself?? I decide to have a go myself and so i phone Edinburgh Cycle Co. up at Leeds (where i bought the bike) to ask what size spokes they are on the 06 continental. Chap says he'll look into it and phone me back. Whe he does he said that the wheel i had has had a lot of problems with snapped spokes and would it be OK to shove a replacement in the post for me??

and it's only 2 o'clock..

do camelot do the lotto on a Thursday??

quick question - having never bought a new wheel (by itself) will i need to remove the cassette from my current wheel or will the wheel come with a cassette on? (

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Now that sounds like excellent after sales service. Must find my way to ECC in Byker, Newcastle.

Lotto do a daily draw, but if you like, post me your tenner before 6.00pm, on receipt of tenner I'll post a msg on here to let you know if you have won or not.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
You'll have to remove the cassette, a chain whip an adjustable spanner and a cassette lock ring tool.
Which bike did you buy because they always get good reviews?

OP
OP
D

DLB

i bought the continental revolution 06. their after slaes service is second to none. i've never know anything to come close to it. Not including the new wheel, a few months after i bought the bike i had a problem with one of the chain rings 'holding onto' the chain an causing a jerking of the chain in every loop. They came from Leeds to Rotherham to collect the bike on their own van and then returned it by courier the next day fixed.

Then i had another problem with the largest chainwheel and they even took me down to their work cellar in the Leeds branch to investigate. Once they located the problem i got a brand new triple chainwheel set for the bike.

If only they would open a branch in Rotherham/Sheffield i would never go anywhere else. As it is at the moment, a 40 odd mile each way trip to leeds for a LBS is too far. they have recently opened a store in Manchester and so there is hope for a Sheffield store in the future.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
DLB said:

I do believe I bought one of these a while back and yes I believe it would be the thing you require (assuming shimano casette - if in doubt buy from LBS!). As for the chain whip well the 'speed' will refer to the width of the chain (as in chain for an 8-speed etc) I wouldn't envisage any problems using a 9 spped chain whip on an 8 speed in fact I haven't a clue what type of chain is on my chain whip tool but it works.

Oh this may be useful

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=48

OP
OP
D

DLB

PatrickPending said:
I do believe I bought one of these a while back and yes I believe it would be the thing you require (assuming shimano casette - if in doubt buy from LBS!). As for the chain whip well the 'speed' will refer to the width of the chain (as in chain for an 8-speed etc) I wouldn't envisage any problems using a 9 spped chain whip on an 8 speed in fact I haven't a clue what type of chain is on my chain whip tool but it works.

Oh this may be useful

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=48

many thanks Patrick

Arch

Married to Night Train
If it doesn't fit, you just hit the bike with the blunt end until it gives up...

<Courses at the Arch School of Bike Destruction available now...>

OP
OP
D

DLB

a friend has suggested using an oil filter chain whip. i guess if it fits it's as good as buying one. My dad has one of these oil filter whips so i'll give it a try first.

Top Bottom