Circlip hassle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I need to remove a circlip in freehub body without any snap pliers.
It’s too troubling with screwdrivers & long nose pliers. Any tips?
Thought of destroying it & buying a new one but £3.50 and waiting for delivery.

Attachments

• 76172F26-650F-4CFF-BB21-B107C5E6DECC.jpeg
    76172F26-650F-4CFF-BB21-B107C5E6DECC.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 11
Buy some circlip pliers. Always useful.

gbb

Legendary Member
As a maintenance engineer, tbf I have several pairs of circles pliers ....but there are no easy ways without them IME.
There will be ways, a steel scribe perhaps, something strong , if you can lift one side and get something under the circlip and work your way round...its possible, but not easy.
Then you have to get it back in.
Also depends on the quality or springiness of the circlip....some are swines WITH the proper tools.

gbb

Legendary Member
Actually, looking closely at the photo, you can see there is a gap between the circlip and the body, just behind the end parts. A small screwdriver in there, lever it away from the body, wedge with another screwdriver and work around the circumference. Do-able perhaps.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
It’s extremely strong. I will probably buy a pair for life. For now I must see one of the happy engineers at work.
I imagine it will press back in without the special pliers.

Or better still these allow internal and external with removal and replacing facility.

https://www.toolstation.com/combina...MVU8IFwtdMJvy-SUf9BSOI5_G2twOZsAaApgpEALw_wcB

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They are really cheap. You need tiny ones to overhaul Dura-Ace pedals, which use a circlip to retain the inboard ball race. I think l paid about £4 for a set of four mini-circlip pliers and they are perfect.

Top Bottom