Circular routes based in Shropshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I’m looking for recommendations for circular routes based in the Shropshire area..
Planing to camp in the Shawbury area and looking to do 2 x 50 mile and 1 x 20 mile ride using quiet B roads, paved canal and ex rail routes if possible.
Suggestions please ?

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Oops! Apologies, missed this one when posted, so might be too late now but ...
+1 for rural Shropshire. Did a two-centred tour there a few years ago, which might offer a few ideas.
North-west towards Ellesmere & Chirk would be good, as would a southerly circuit of Shrewsbury, perhaps taking in Church Stretton?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A bit late coming to this thread. Thanks @ColinJ for alerting me to it.

You might find railway and canal paths a bit of a disappointment in the area I'm afraid @Landsurfer. The only railway paths available round here are the old SVR trackbed from Ironbridge to Bridgnorth (It goes through some nice scenery but unless the covid lockdowns have been taken as an opportunity to improve it, it's a bit rough to be really enjoyable) or the one from Newport to Stafford which might be a bit out of your way (Haven't ridden this one to know what it's like). Our canal tow paths are frequently unpaved, although the path along the old canal from Uffington to Shrewsbury then around the loop of the river is pleasant. Telford does have a lot of dedicated cycle routes but I don't often ride round that area to be able to comment on them.

We are however blessed with loads of quiet lanes so my suggestion would be to grab yourself some Landranger maps (126, 127 and 137) and see what takes your fancy. From the Shawbury area I'll give another vote for visiting Church Stretton. The Stiperstones and The Bridges (Ratlinghope) is worth a look too - wilder and not touristy. You have the Ironbridge Gorge fairly close by or Ellesmere and Chirk, as mentioned already, are good options too. If you are into aircraft, the Cosford RAF museum would make a good round trip (must do that myself when things are a bit more normal).

Do avoid using the A5, A49 and A53 if you can as these are busy trunk routes which I doubt you'll enjoy. The B roads are mixed - many are fine but some I tend to avoid. You can usually find nicer unclassified roads that will take you the same way.

I can give more detailed suggestions if you want them.:okay:

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
would be to grab yourself some Landranger maps (126, 127 and 137)

Or much better, grab @Rickshaw Phil and get him to lead you on a couple of circuits.

I've done that a few times, and very agreeable it was too.

As observed, it's an excellent area for minor roads cycling, although you may need to tackle one or two very sharp banks.

Phil is spot on about some of the roads being a bit hairy due to motor traffic, and it's not easy to differentiate the good from the bad just by looking at the map.

Even with Phil's thousands of miles of experience, we had a couple of nasty incidents.

I wonder if RAF Shawbury has anything to with it.

My static caravan is near Catterick Garrison.

Some of the cyclist unfriendly driving around there is by army lads in their three series BMWs.

check out cycle.travel site, it will design suitable routes
yep - absoliutely.
very modest of richard not to mention it.
Select a place some distance from your start point - ask for a route, then select circular route.
You can also specify paved only or something a bit more liberal.

Top Bottom