Citrus chain cleaner, is cheap fine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nlmkiii

I'm about to start waxing my chain, and looking for chain cleaning options although doubt I'll get ultrasonic yet.

I was looking at some cheap citrus degreasers around £10-£15 for 5 litres, yet all the bike specific ones are the same amount for about 1 litre! Is it just paying for something to have a picture of a bike on it or are there real differences?

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Citraclean-Citrus-Degreaser-Concentrate-Litres/dp/B00JDI9MPE/ref=sr_1_6?

something like this. General all purpose thing. Any reason to spend more?

si_c

Guru
Degreaser is degreaser, get the cheapest. Screwfix do large 5l for a tenner which is decent. You're paying for smaller "bike" quantities, if you clean your bike often then you'll use it anyway.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
even better - Screw Fix No-nonsense degreaser is £8.99 for 5 litres. Really good stuff, and you must dilute it, it's strong. Cleans everything believe you me. Great all purpose stuff.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS Screwfix seem to be out of their own, but they have another for £13.99 for 5l - picking some up later !

OP
OP
nlmkiii

nlmkiii

I saw the Screwfix stuff and it looked good, but trying to be eco friendly with the citrus stuff instead!

In reality though most of it won't get chucked away very quickly, use it all multiple times over, so maybe Screwfix no nonsense is fine.

Top Bottom