clackety-clackety-clackety-clack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
On my Sirrus which I've had for about 2 years and have used nearly every day, I think the rear derailleur is hitting the spokes of the rear wheel. This only happens when I'm on the middle chainring and a lowish gear on the cassette on hill climbs.

How do I solve this problem?
Yeah, don't use that gear, I hear you cry...

domtyler

Über Member
Adjust the retainer screw to stop it going into the spokes?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
When you say 'a lowish gear'...

This used to happen to me, but only in *the lowest* gear - I solved it by adding a .5mm shim before putting the cassette (strictly in my case freewheel) back on. But if you get the noise in anything other than the lowest gear, it must be something else. After all, if it was tapping in second, by the time you put it in first, your mech would have buried itself in your wheel and you'd be lying in the middle of the road.

Odd that it's just started, after two years...

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
swee said:
To be honest, I don't nomally use that gear. It's just that the other day I was cycling to the mosque and there are some steepish hills (well, steeper than anything on my commute) and I used this gear for the first time. The problem itself may have been around for a while without me realising.

I'll see if there's some sort of adjustment screw, like dom says.
No doubt I'll turn it the wrong way and make it worse...

If the derailleur was hitting the spokes in the middle ring, it would destroy your rear wheel in the granny ring. But I'm assuming the granny ring works OK? Have you put it on a stand to have a close inspection? Could be chain/chainring/jockey wheel wear, incorrect cable tension, or your cables might be covered in crap and not shifting properly.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Kirstie said:
I'm assuming the granny ring works OK? Have you put it on a stand to have a close inspection? Could be chain/chainring wear, incorrect cable tension, or your cables might be covered in crap and not shifting properly.
Yes, granny ring does work OK. I haven't given it a close inspection yet, but I will do. Cheers.

Mr Pig

Maz said:
I think the rear dérailleur is hitting the spokes of the rear wheel.

Are you sure that's what it is? The derailier has to be pretty out, bent or worn to get in that far.

Could it just be the alignment of the dérailleur cage with the gears? If it's off to one side the chain can rattle on the gears.

Top Bottom