Clamping a carbon frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tiredlegs

Hi all.
I`m on the look out for a workstand and have been told to steer away from `the clamping type` as I have a carbon framed bike. Any views or opinions on this. And anyone you could recommend
Cheers

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can clamp the seapost if careful.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
as wot Fossy said or alternatively. Get an old cheapo second hand seat post to out in the frame to clamp to.

GrasB

Veteran
I find that the post clamp type are no good when trying to put a lot of torque into things, hence why I got the Tacx Spider Team. I can easily torque down my cranks & pedals without the bike moving, something I've never managed to do with a clamp type bike stand.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I use a Tacx Spider Team & very nice it is too.
+1

That's what the pro team mechanics use. If you're going to get one it's cheaper in the long run to get a good one. There is no way I would clamp a frame by the seatpost, the weight distribution is all wrong and the strain on the tube must be considerable, particularly if you are struggling with a stuck BB cup. The bike won't fold in half as soon as you clamp it in, but a few years down the line...

GrasB

Veteran
Just thinking about it, there's 1 flaw with that type of stand. You can only adjust gear indexing on the bench if the cables are top-tube or internally routed as the bike rests on the BB shell.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Just thinking about it, there's 1 flaw with that type of stand. You can only adjust gear indexing on the bench if the cables are top-tube or internally routed as the bike rests on the BB shell.
I have a stand where the bike rests on the BB shell, cable adjustment is no problem as the guide keeps them clear of the stand.

GrasB

Veteran
I have a stand where the bike rests on the BB shell, cable adjustment is no problem as the guide keeps them clear of the stand.
what I find is there's enough cable/resting block interaction to knock the indexing out a touch. You get it perfect on the stand & then it's not quite right on the road.

Top Bottom