Clangers !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Just heard the clangers on TV. Even after all these years I can still understand what they are saying !!
clangers2.jpg

Melvil

Oh, I thought you meant...oh never mind!

Arch

Married to Night Train
There is a story told by Oliver Postgate that he took an episode of the Clangers to an international TV festival, minus his narration track. Showed it to an audience of buyers and asked afterwards if they understood the plot.

"Oh yes," said the guy from Oslo, they were speaking Norwegian.
"No, no", said a guy from Germany, "they were speaking German..."

And of course, there's the swearing...

Bokonon

Über Member
"The bloody things broken again!" (Major Clanger kicks door.) Absolute classic and yet my house mates thought me weird when I sat on the sofa and watched both seasons back to back on DVD.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Bokonon said:
"The bloody things broken again!" (Major Clanger kicks door.) Absolute classic and yet my house mates thought me weird when I sat on the sofa and watched both seasons back to back on DVD.

watch 1st minute or so, and see comment underneath :blush::biggrin:

JamesAC

Arch said:
I do have a pattern....

Do you REALLY? My wife (who is rather over the age of 25) had never seen the Clangers, so I bought her a Clangers DVD for her birthday (along with some useful presents such as a new coke shovel) and she was enchanted. She's also a keen knitter....:blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bokonon said:
Damn, I can't even quote the Clangers correctly:biggrin::biggrin:!

If you get one of the squeezy ones that makes a noise, that's the sample they used... When the company asked Postgate for a sample, it was the first thing he thought of. The BBC complained that they couldn't swear and Postate said that nice little children would hear it as "oh, bother, the blooming thing's stuck again".

James, yes, I do, but I see Fnarr has found you one, and I think it's more authentic than mine. And it's bookmarked on my laptop, which isn't internet connected at the moment.

It was Mrs Firmin (wife of Peter who worked with OIliver Postgate) who knitted the originals and I was lucky enough to meet her last year and thank her...

Did anyone hear the episode of I'm sorry I haven't a clue where they did Swannee/Kazoo cineam and played out the restaurant scene from When Harry Met Sally with the swannee whistle as Meg Ryan? Imagine a Clanger having an orgasm. I was scarred for life...

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Arch said:
Did anyone hear the episode of I'm sorry I haven't a clue where they did Swannee/Kazoo cineam and played out the restaurant scene from When Harry Met Sally with the swannee whistle as Meg Ryan? Imagine a Clanger having an orgasm. I was scarred for life...
A link please would be helpful !!!!

Top Bottom