'Clanking' noise from a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cntl

I got myself a new bike: single speed Giant road bike. I fell in love in an instant.

The problem is that it is making clanking noises when pedalling at over 10mph, sounds like from the bottom bracket area. I went back to the LBS and they said it's the chain--it's new and needs to 'soften' or something like that. I find it hard to believe. I have two other bikes (much cheaper), my brother has another Giant road bike (geared) and I can not hear any noises when riding them. Any suggestions what that may be???;)

EDIT: I haven't been able to replicate the noise on a stand. Seems to only kick in when I am cycling (even at a constant speed). Oh, and it is a free-wheel.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
cntl said:
I got myself a new bike: single speed Giant road bike. I fell in love in an instant.
The problem is that it is making clanking noises when pedalling at over 10mph, sounds like from the bottom bracket area. I went back to the LBS and they said it's the chain--it's new and needs to 'soften' or something like that. I find it hard to believe. I have two other bikes (much cheaper), my brother has another Giant road bike (geared) and I can not hear any noises when riding them. Any suggestions what that may be???;)

EDIT: I haven't been able to replicate the noise on a stand. Seems to only kick in when I am cycling (even at a constant speed). Oh, and it is a free-wheel.

If thats the Bowery:tongue: I love the look of it. I saw one in a dark green, looked very tasty:tongue:
Cant offer any help. I've never had to run a chain in, take it back again. But then if its like the SCR4 its a noisey bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lose BB, pedals, or chain rings. BB will need the chain set removing, remove, re-grease BB, refit, refit chain set.

Back to shop that's rubbish !

OP
OP
cntl

cntl

>>If thats the Bowery:tongue: I love the look of it

Yes, it is! Black, with silver forks.;) Looks like this (photo from web)

bowery.JPG

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Is the noise synchronized with your pedal stroke? Does it only happen when you pedal?

Could be your bb, could be a bending crankarm hitting the chainstay as you put more pressure on it (check to see if the paint is wearing on either chainstay for that one). Hopefully it's just the bb and you can get it fixed.

Got to be honest, the chain thing sounds like total bs to me.

Ooh almost forgot, nothing (e.g. zipper, strap, back of heel) hitting the frame right?

mootaineer

cntl said:
they said it's the chain--it's new and needs to 'soften' or something like that. I find it hard to believe.

Last time I heard a clicking noise from my singlespeed I thought it was coming from the BB area...but in fact it was coming from the rear freewheel and only under pressure (ie not while I hand cranked it on the bikestand). As the noise got worse (and more frequent), it turned out that the freewheel/chain were worn just enough...making the chain slip too.

Seems unlikely given that your bike is new...
Pedal sounds more likely...hmmmm :wacko:

Anothe possibility (that I've also experienced) is that it could be a small stone stuck on the rim, where it's grooved hitting the brake block at each revolution?

Perry

cntl said:
>>If thats the Bowery:tongue: I love the look of it

Yes, it is! Black, with silver forks.:smile: Looks like this (photo from web)

bowery.JPG

Ohh yeah, come to Pappa!

Sounds a load of bullsh1te about running in a chain.

I had a strange sound from a bike, I thought it was the bottom bracket then thought rear cassette. It turned out the be a creaky seat :wacko:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
So is the noise synchronized with the pedal rotation then? Does it only happen when you pedal? When you stop pedalling? Enquiring minds want to know......

For this read "It could be one of a number of things but we'd have to strip it down and we can't be bothered."
Take it back and ask them to try again.

I read "We sold you the bike, now we're going to make something up so you go away and won't come back again until it's too late and we can say it's normal wear and tear". Could be wrong, but I don't like the sound of that bike shop. Take it back to them and give them a description of the problem -including the answers to questions at the top of this post and the fact it's not duplicated on a workstand -don't just say it's making a noise as that will be too vague. If they are halfway decent, they should sort you out.

A new well adjusted bike should not be making clanging noises.

domtyler

Über Member
Go back to the shop and demand your money back.

I guarantee they will have booked it into the workshop within two minutes. If not, get your money back and go elsewhere.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
Go back to the shop and demand your money back.

I guarantee they will have booked it into the workshop within two minutes. If not, get your money back and go elsewhere.
...is the correct answer! Give the man a coconut.

postman

Legendary Member
The same thing is happening with my Giant Rincon.The bike is only eight weeks old.After four weeks same noise.Bike shop applied more grease and a free service?.I think!!!.Anyway no cost.Last weekend Ladybower and Dalby forest.Not exactly hard riding but the knocking started on the sunday near the end of the ride.So i greased most of the bike again,and last night did a 12 mile around Eccup res.Knocking terrible also a lot of play on the chain.at least a quarter of an in l-r swing.So last night fired off an e-mail to Giant HQ in Nottingham.TELLING them what IS going to happen.I choose the bike shop,they change allthe components for free and labour costs.Or full refund or a new bike.Failing any of that.I will face them in small claims court.For i have kept my union membership up from work.And legal cover on disputes is one of the problems they help with.I will let you know of what happens.

Top Bottom