clanking noise from rear wheel on rotation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my boardman cx comp was rather noisy coming home on friday; a clanking noise from the rear. i put it down to some loose spoke reflectors (sounds like them moving up and down the spokes), which i removed.

the clanking noise remains when i lift the back wheel and spin the wheel. it doesn't appear to be a once-a-rotation noise, and i've looked at the disk-brake alignment and there doesn't seem to be anything untoward going on there.

mudguards aren't rubbing, rack is tight and it seems to not be drive-train related.

stumped really; unless the hub is on its way out, in which case i'll put a warrantee claim in against halfords; bike is only about 3 months old :sad:

Last edited:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
If it's not only happening under load, and you've checked the spokes and all is tensioned fine - then it could very well be a hub bearing, i'm afraid

Does it happen if you take the wheel off and spin it holding the axles by hand ?

Tangoup51

Sounds like either your hub bearings need a service but more likely it could be your cassette body has kicked the bucket. - On the 2014 cx they are pretty cheap generic nasty cassette bodies (one of the ways they cut corner on the price)

*edit mine went after 8 months of completely dry riding.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Check the chain link is secure and all the other links too.
If one side of the link has detached it will catch .

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
rear hub had water got in and washed out grease and rusted the bearings. fixed for gratis by halfords :thumbsup:

rear hub had water got in and washed out grease and rusted the bearings. fixed for gratis by halfords :thumbsup:
Very typical for these, unfortunately. I had exactly the same thing on my MX Comp. I ended up replacing the whole rear wheel, with a Mavic Cross one, after the second failure, the spokes were a nightmare to keep tensioned on the original wheel as well.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
After three months? :eek:

I've been having a bit of a time with the rear wheel on my daughter's bike recently - cones loosening off. But the wheel's probably about 40 years old. To the best of my knowledge, no water has ever got in and washed out grease. How can a brand new wheel on a £600+ bike be that crap?

Tangoup51

After three months? :eek:

I've been having a bit of a time with the rear wheel on my daughter's bike recently - cones loosening off. But the wheel's probably about 40 years old. To the best of my knowledge, no water has ever got in and washed out grease. How can a brand new wheel on a £600+ bike be that crap?

Comp/Team bikes from Boardman have insane VFM. Halfords last sold the CX Team 2014 (10 speed, discs, etc) for £500 but I bought mine for £675. - They are expected to cut corners in certain areas, like the front mech & rear freehub body

My hub had the same issues roughly the same time as the OP, I'm not at all mad, for the price I paid, I should of gotten alot less anyway.

Top Bottom