Claris or Sora - will a novice notice the difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gordz

Regular
Getting into road cycling for commuting/fitness and was wondering if as a novice I will actually notice a difference between Claris and Sora gears?

I ask as I'm torn between the Giant Defy 3 and 4. Both bikes are identical bar the gears and the difference in price is only £50... but I prefer the white colour of the Defy 4 (Claris) compared to the blue of the Defy 3 (Sora).

Thanks for your anticipated wisdom :smile:

Crandoggler

No.

I don't think you get a full Groupset on either bike do you? So I wouldn't particularly worry. Claris is a very smooth operating setup, as is Sora.

OP
OP
Gordz

Gordz

Regular
Cheers for the quick responses!

Not sure what a "full groupset" is Crandoggler (still learning!), but below are the specifics...

Defy 3:
  • NUMBER GEARS 18
  • SHIFTERS Shimano Sora 18 speed
  • CHAINSET Shimano Sora, 50/34
  • CHAINRINGS 50/34
  • CASSETTE SRAM PG 950 11-32
  • CHAIN KMC X9
  • FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Sora
  • REAR DERAILLER Shimano Sora
  • BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano, threaded external
Defy 4:
  • NUMBER GEARS 16
  • SHIFTERS Shimano Claris 16 speed
  • CHAINSET FSA Tempo, 34/50
  • CHAINRINGS 34/50
  • CASSETTE SRAM PG 850 11-32
  • CHAIN KMC Z7
  • FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Claris
  • REAR DERAILLER Shimano Claris
  • BOTTOM BRACKET Sealed Cartridge

subaqua

What’s the point
only if they read the name!

one has 2 letters more. ( which to some would mean better as more is always better)

both are very good TBH

OP
OP
Gordz

Gordz

Regular
I was hoping these were the replies I'd get, thanks! A white Defy 4 it is then :biggrin:

Get the one you like, I guarantee you will ride it more:bicycle:

Only diiference really is one is 9 spd and one is 8.

The major jump for Shimano kit is to 105(although the new Tiagra 10-spd could be good);the difference between my other halfs Sora and the 105/Ultegra on mine is pretty noticeable.

Just get the one you like and say next year upgrade to something like the new Tiagra or source nos/sh 105/ultegra bits;this may also depend on size cassette the wheels will take,it could be that they may be 10-spd compatible(my other hals Avails' wheels are.)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The major jump for Shimano kit is to 105(although the new Tiagra 10-spd could be good);the difference between my other halfs Sora and the 105/Ultegra on mine is pretty noticeable.

New Tiagra = Old 105. A massive improvement on the first-generation Tiagra I was using in the early 2000s - much lighter, much better looking and much smoother shifting. And the new 105 is almost entirely indistinguishable from Ultegra.

For me, if it were a choice between a bike with Sora and a bike with Claris, I'd go for the one that was a nicer colour. I've not used Claris but I imagine it's fine. The trickle-down effect means the lower end groupsets benefit from the technology from older versions of higher end groupsets. I think it's when you go down to the 'non series' stuff that you really start to notice the compromises made for price.

Top Bottom