Clarkson's latest.......Mid-Life Crisis cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

y2blade

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...he-purchase-of-cycling-equipment-201009303131

WHILE previous generations favoured red cars, alcohol and affairs, modern men are increasingly limiting their mid-life madness to buying bikes they don’t really want, it has emerged.

The Institute for Studies found that 43% of professional men aged 35-50 have spent more than £500 on a bike without really knowing why.

Professor Henry Brubaker said: “Historically, men of a certain age have spent their disposable incomes on small fibreglass sports cars that the man in the shop described as a ‘fanny magnet’.

“This would be combined with pointy shoes, brown leather clothing and a hip flask – the objective being an overall sense of virility that would impress ‘dolly birds’.

“So it’s interesting that today’s middle-aged man is choosing instead to spend the disposable income generated by the job he hates on a Tungusku 9000 super-lightweight racing bike made from sort sort of space carbon and weighing less than a grape.

“And then riding around on top of it. Wearing spandex. And a plastic hat.

“Like a total bell-end.”

He added: “Clearly these are not the actions of a sexual predator. Perhaps the bicycle fad expresses a suicidal urge to get flattened by a lorry before becoming fat and impotent.”

Roy Hobbs, 41, who spent almost a grand on cycling equipment without having the faintest idea why, said: “I bought the bike, the clothes, and some sort of bottle in a holster.

“I dressed myself in the gear and looked at myself in the mirror and thought, ‘What have I become?’ I looked like a chunky wasp.

“Maybe I will take the bike into the garden tomorrow and smash it with a mallet, while weeping.”

winjim

Smash the cistern
You do know Jeremy Clarkson didn't write this...

Poe's law?

Well, the lanes were heaving with such people round my way yesterday.
At least I assume they were such people. They were mostly riding Halfords-supplied Boardmans etc and wearing loose fitting Lycra.
My point is that these purchases are being ridden.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
[QUOTE 3155787, member: 259"]To be fair, it's often indistinguishable from the Daily Mail.[/QUOTE]

You know, that was my first thought - that the OP had mistaken it for that.

GC

[QUOTE 3155787, member: 259"]To be fair, it's often indistinguishable from the Daily Mail.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps a bit more reliable for accurate reporting.

I was once approached by a Daily Mail reporter for a story. I gave him both barrels about the shoddy inaccurate reporting, playing on people's fears and massaging the readers' prejudices. "I agree with every word you say, mate," he replied. I gave him his story, and to be fair it was reported OK.

winjim

Smash the cistern
A lot of cyclists do also..
Please don't think I'm not acknowledging that £1000 is an awful lot of money. It's just that in the mid-life crisis MAMIL scheme of things, it's not out of the ordinary for people to spend several times that figure.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I consider myself as 'dabbling' because I'm unwilling to spend more than £1k (within the cycle scheme tolerances) on a bike. If I was 'hooked' then £2500 seems to be considered 'entry level'.

Top Bottom