Classic 80's? Peugeot Help Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My Dad cycles just about everywhere. He has a few bikes, nothing new or fancy, but the one that gets used the most for getting to the shops, gym etc etc. It started life as a Peugeot road bike which he bought from a friend back in the early 1990's, but over the years has had the bars/stem changed. I believe the drivetrain is all original, though I forgot to note what it was today.
Anyway, the bottom bracket is pretty much shot, Dad's stripping and rebuilding every couple of weeks. I'd like to drop in a hassle free cartridge one for him, but not sure on sizing. I've trawled through the www.cyclespeugeot.com site and am perhaps a little closer, just thought I'd ask here if anyone knew where else to try.
Some photo's:
Peugeot Overall.jpg

Peugeot Sticker.jpg

Peugeot Carbolite.jpg

I think, going from the colour scheme and ID sticker, that it's a 1984-6 P10LS, likely later than earlier given the Carbolite tubing. This would suggest a British BB. If this were the case, would something like a Shimano UN55 do the job?
Any help appreciated...

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Yes, looks like a mid 80's Peugeot and they were very good too. I had a Chamonix from 1986 until 3 years ago when I stopped riding upwrongs. I loved that bicycle
Mine was fitted with a Stronglight double chainset - but for a while they also used the Shimano Biopace ovalised chainsets that were popular for a short while.
But in answer to your question, yes the BB is British thread and a UN55 would be ideal - just get the same axle length to preserve the chain line.

compo

Veteran
I have recently fitted a UN55 cartridge into a 1980's Peugeot with Carbolite 103. Only problem I had was that the locating ring on the non drive side wouldn't screw all the way in. I know they don't always go in all the way but there was a bit too much sticking out for comfort. I put the ring in a lathe and trimmed off about 2mm from the inside edge and it now fits perfectly.

HovR

Über Member
But in answer to your question, yes the BB is British thread and a UN55 would be ideal - just get the same axle length to preserve the chain line.

Good advice, but it's also worth measuring the original spindle to see whether it is asymmetric or not. When I replaced the original BB on my Peugeot I found the spindle was asymmetric. Replacing this with a modern symmetric BB of the same length would have resulted in the chainset being brought further inboard. I believe in this instance you can just measure from the end of the drive side taper to the centre between the two shoulders and double it to find the equivalent symmetrical length.

BBRAC%20Steel%20Bottom%20Bracket%206.jpg

I also found my chainset was ISO standard, where new bottom brackets are JIS standard, although I suspect that since your bike is of a newer vintage you won't have this problem. @RecordAceFromNew helped me a lot here!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Good advice, but it's also worth measuring the original spindle to see whether it is asymmetric or not. When I replaced the original BB on my Peugeot I found the spindle was asymmetric. Replacing this with a modern symmetric BB of the same length would have resulted in the chainset being brought further inboard. I believe in this instance you can just measure from the end of the drive side taper to the centre between the two shoulders and double it to find the equivalent symmetrical length.

BBRAC%20Steel%20Bottom%20Bracket%206.jpg

I also found my chainset was ISO standard, where new bottom brackets are JIS standard, although I suspect that since your bike is of a newer vintage you won't have this problem. @RecordAceFromNew helped me a lot here!

Good point!
Mine didn't have an asymmetric axle and was replaced (after about 20 years!) with a UN55 - but that is not to say that others were not fitted with asymmetric axles.

HovR

Über Member
Good point!
Mine didn't have an asymmetric axle and was replaced (after about 20 years!) with a UN55 - but that is not to say that others were not fitted with asymmetric axles.

Yeah, probably pretty likely to be symmetric to be honest, but since the spindle has to come out anyway it's worth giving it a measure to check rather than end up buying two bottom brackets, as I did!

compo

Veteran
My Peugeot original axle was symetrical. I was trying to find the record of the sale from Amazon to give you the length that fitted mine but cannot find it. Anyway, it's better to check your own axle in case they are not all the same. I kept the original along with it's cups as they are good quality and you never know when they may come in useful. They go with my Raleigh cups, both 24tpi and 26tpi which are useful on old Raleighs to check which TPI's I have. Mind you it has been several years since I worked on my last Raleigh of an age where it could be an issue.

KneesUp

Guru
Mine was also symmetrical (1979 - marked P10 on the frame, but it's a Carbolite one) I've not actually fitted the replacement yet, so if I can find it I'll let you know what it was - I had to get the LBS to get the old one out and they supplied the replacement, so I'm sure it fits :smile:

compo

Veteran
Something I had forgotten about my Peugeot. The BB shell was only 66mm rather than the usual 68mm, which may be why I had the slight problem with the UN55 locating ring not seating properly.

KneesUp

Guru
I've found the BB the bike shop provided when I got them to get the old one out. It's a Sunrace BBS15 (I presume this is cheap, I can't remember!) marked with

BC1.37 x 24t 68x122L

My bike is older than yours though - everything is Simplex and Weinmann. It had a Stronglight double, which is under the sink somewhere, with a pedal I can't remove :smile:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member

Always glad to be of some help. :okay:

Incidentally most of the 8 possible UNxx spindle lengths are asymmetric.

If the existing BB is traditional, there might be a code stamped on it, like 3R or 4NN etc. That could help id suitable modern cartridge replacement. Similarly the existing chainline measurement, the make, model and approximate vintage of chainset would also assist.

Top Bottom