Classic Brake Block advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobinS

Veteran
A month or two back after advice on here regarding the Sturmey Archer 3 speed I got an old 1970s ish (maybe older) Peugeot bicycle operational for one of our lodgers. She has been using it a reasonable amount, and after a few more tweaks it is going fine, however she reports that the brakes have very little effect! They are ordinary side pull brakes, with old-school rubber blocks, in a metal shoe - the sort of thing I can remember from that time, and are operating against a very shiny chrome rims. So - are there any blocks that will give better effect on a chrome rim? - or were brakes just really rubbish in those days? Hard to remember as I graduated to Wienmann centre-pulls in 1972, then alloy rims, mtb cantis, V brakes, then discs!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep Fibrax make a chrome specific brake pad.

si_c

Guru
Chrome rims are lethal, worth looking at replacing them with an alloy wheelset and koolstop pads.

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Thanks all - I can now remember that my brake blocks back in the 1970s had a bit of leather on them. Swapping the rims is not an option, as the total cost of the bike and refurb has been £12.50 - she doesn't want to spend too much more!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My old Raleigh Lizard did!

Baldy

Über Member
LBS is closed at the moment due to the plague. I'll just have to wait until they open again or when I'm next in Leicester.

Top Bottom