Classic BW films

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Adrian still has a thing for Hattie Jacques ;)

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Then there's a couple of surrealist classics from Bunuel/Dali;
L'Age d'Or (aka Big Gate) and Un Chien Andalou (aka A Dog on the Bog)

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
12494745_1656369747963251_2163585923536916397_n.jpg

Peggy Cummings is still with us. 90 years young.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'd suggest 'Seven Samurai' and 'Sunset Boulevard'.

When I first saw Seven Samurai, whilst acknowledging its clear quality I did think maybe it was a touch slow, and Magnificent Seven more entertaining. Saw Seven Samurai again a good few years later, and it seemed perfectly paced yet over too soon. One of those perfect films. Kurosawa must have the highest masterpiece count of anyone I can think of. Hugely influencial and copied many of them too.

That said, Magnificent Seven is very good fun.

"that won't keep us out" says the bandit refering to various ramshackle barriers the Seven have put up. "they're not to keep you out, but to keep you in"

Metropolis certainly does... the 'making of' is far superior to the film itself.
HG Wells wasn't a fan either

http://erkelzaar.tsudao.com/reviews/H.G.Wells_on_Metropolis 1927.htm

Profpointy

Legendary Member

And yet, the "realistic" things to come has dated, but the more fantastical, and maybe silly even, Metropolis seems timeless.

I love both. Arthur Bliss's stunning music for Things to Come is quite something too - especially "building the new world". I'd bought the record after hearing a snippet long before I saw the entire film. Who can resist an orchestral suite with a movement entitled "attack on the moon gun"

Wells' book "the shape of things to come " is a bit of a slow read compared to "war of the worlds" or "the time machine" but well worth the effort

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Dambusters.
It's for your missus though. Hmm, how about The Hunchback of Notre Dame with Charles Laughton?
Actually, the David Lean version of Great Expectations is pretty good.

Top Bottom