Classic 'different' frames.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fredo76

Über Member
My brother's new Clem Smith Jr. frame from Rivendell is a bit unusual. It's a step-through, for starters, and it's huge.

It has a 53" wheelbase. I can't wait to try riding it. It's the blue one - the green one I made 45 years ago and just refinished it.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
I always think fancy lug work is a pile of ugly bollocks
Then you won't be impressed with the retro Galibier frame currently being offered by Condor Cycles then - ! :laugh:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I think the Flying Gate is a horrible-looking design, but a friend has a Jarvis one which, he says, rides beautifully. Incidentally, Baines hated the 'Flying Gate' nickname, 'gate' meaning an ugly bike. They had a point.

I always think fancy lug work is a pile of ugly bollocks that adds nothing to a frame...

That's why I went for smooth fillets on the Halletts, both of which are pretty retro-looking.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Which of course is why I referred to it as the Bates VS37, not the stupid name that some numpty gave it.
'Baines', old chap. But I'm afraid I think it deserves its nickname. Jarvis of course embraced it.

Fredo76

Über Member

It's a bike! My brother's Rivendell Clem Smith Jr. is still a single-speed (waiting on a tandem derailleur cable - it's looong). It rides nicely, and really soaks up the bumps. It's also closer to my old racing bike for speed and low resistance than it is to my Jamis Citizen 1, of the same style.

Top Bottom