Classic or Vintage model

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I would say it's a classic steel bike but why worry just enjoy it

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Interesting that people ask if your bike has a steel frame. These days steel has become a sort of niche market with only one mainstream manufacture I know of offering them, Genesis. Aluminium has become the de facto material for frames with carbon the one to aspire to. Because steel is used pretty much exclusively on vintage bikes it has gained ‘classic’ status. And the classic triple looks to go the same way.

Sharky

Guru
There's a points system. +10 for toeclips and not clipless; +20 for downtube shifters; +15 for wide flange hubs; +20 for screw on freewheel; +100 for cotter pins.

I think I'm kidding but I wouldn't be surprised if there is.

And probably 50 points for a Brooks saddle,
And 100 points for an original plastic Cinelli Unicanitor Saddle

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Cinelli Unicantor?

Oh no, I don't even know what one of them is!

I'm a hopeless failure (again).
It was the saddle to have when I was about 15. Plastic in a bright Orange. Ultimate 60’s bike cool. Still available today I believe.

EF4C2C67-A65B-469F-9D78-3848E0FEDA69.jpeg

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
What about that horrible wafer thin shiny bar tape?
Collectively, I've done quite well on the points system, if only I had cotter pins and old clips I'd be right up there!
edit: oh and a unicantor saddle!

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Surely most of the value is in a properly designed, well-built frame. You can always retrofit suitable period parts.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
. . . . and already some people enquire about the triple chainset . . .
As so much in cycling is quite, well, cyclical, I'm waiting for a 'young person' to invent the triple chainset. It makes so much sense - instead of having cogs the size of dinnerplates on the rear axle, you can have a lighter tiny inner chainring on the inside of your chainset. What's not to like?

I think it will be launched at a future trade show along side a stand proclaiming "Are you tired of stuffing all your over priced camping gear into ridiculously small frame packs? Here's the solution - we've called them panniers.

Or probably iPanniers.
or Wild Panniers,
or if made of cotton duck will be called ecoPanniers.

The crowds will go wild that cycling continues to be so innovative.

All uphill

Still rolling along
As so much in cycling is quite, well, cyclical, I'm waiting for a 'young person' to invent the triple chainset. It makes so much sense - instead of having cogs the size of dinnerplates on the rear axle, you can have a lighter tiny inner chainring on the inside of your chainset. What's not to like?

I think it will be launched at a future trade show along side a stand proclaiming "Are you tired of stuffing all your over priced camping gear into ridiculously small frame packs? Here's the solution - we've called them panniers.

Or probably iPanniers.
or Wild Panniers,

Maybe 11 rings at the front and one at the back?

11 x 1

You heard it first here.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy

Or probably iPanniers.
or Wild Panniers,

Tim thats a totally ridiculous idea , a chainset with THREE rings . It will be very unreliable and totally unsuitable for touring . As for cycle bags made out cotton , that’s just silly .

Top Bottom