Classic Raleigh Restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zzpza

SimonR said:
If you wanted to fit new ones, the closest I've found to original Raleigh spec are these. I'm thinking of fitting them to my old Raleigh - who knows, these people may even have made the originals back in the day.

I have a set of the above guards on my Raleigh, and they look almost identical to the broken, knackered ones that were originally on there.

OP
OP
jig-sore

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
thanks for the tips guys :biggrin:, well i've just returned the bike to my sister and she's all too keen to get out on it, even in the rain.

wonder how long that will last :eek:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Nice job! The 18-23 decal you asked about, by the way, says what tubing it is and shows it to be a low-to-middling model. People have been known to be rude about it, but it's ok. And Raleighs of that era, in my experience, were generally pretty well put together, and run nice and smooth, even if they're not 'the best'. I'm sure your sister will be enjoy riding it a lot.

Tel

Veteran
You have done a mighty fine job there, very satisfying.

Must say I am inclined to agree about the tyres perhaps some gumwall tyres woulda looked in keeping, but then getting hold of said tyres is no easy feat these days.

zzpza

personally i like the black/black, but the gumwall would be more in keeping with the heritage of the bike.

more importantly, what does your sis think? has she ridden it much since you gave it back?

out of interest, does the bottle dyno still work? is it as useless as i remember them to be? :smile:

OP
OP
jig-sore

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
i think she's been on it twice but to be honest I've not spoken to her for a couple of weeks, she's got a new fella at the moment so she's probably riding something else instead :smile:

yes, the dynamo does still work, i was very surprised at that. kind of a useless design for a light but it was really only fitted back on to keep a bit of retro look.

i like the black tyres, i think it gives a nice contrast between retro and usability but it would be so easy to get a more period set fitted in the future.

I'll be getting first dibs on this bike if it does end up collecting dust again.

bagpuss

Guru
Can you please add a picture of this fine machine here.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/735735@N24/

Ps I have loads of new old old stock tyres .what size and colour do you need ?

OP
OP
jig-sore

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
i have added a few pics very quickly, may add more later.

nice little group there, loads of great classic bikes. will have to have a good look.

don't actually NEED any tyres at the moment, but thanks :ohmy:

the anorak said:
i think she's been on it twice but to be honest I've not spoken to her for a couple of weeks, she's got a new fella at the moment so she's probably riding something else instead ;)

Jeeez!!!! Entiiiiiiiiiirely toooooooo much information thanksxx(

I was told by a guy in a bike shop the reason those bottle dyno's caused so much drag was that most folk set them up so they were really pushing into the tyre. He said if you set them so they were just touching, they were pretty good.
Makes you wonder how many other perfectly serviceable bikes are sat in people's sheds/garages/spare rooms, just waiting to be unearthed:smile:

porteous

Veteran
Just bought an identical bike for my stepdaughter on e-bay. A little more rust on it than your sister's,but not much. Hopefully just enough to keep the thieves at bay in London. A little work and it's also looking good (A fast bike too). Chain no longer siezed, everything lubed. New 700x23 tyres next week. They were well made and a nice frame.

OLDSHUNTER

liked the old tyres better good job well done no doubt although you should have kept the old tube as the older they get the better they are

Top Bottom