Classic vintage with modern kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shack

Old thread I know, but looking at an old Super Galaxy in a week or so (they are currently away) I would be interested in knowing how you found the brake replacement, my last SG had travel agents, but I remember still being underwhelmed.
I also tried some self energising? (Suntour maybe?) Brakes on a 'normal' galaxy but they weren't a great improvement.
TBH it's probably my only concern.

Gunk

Guru
Tektro do some very good dual pivot long drop calipers

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Old thread I know, but looking at an old Super Galaxy in a week or so (they are currently away) I would be interested in knowing how you found the brake replacement, my last SG had travel agents, but I remember still being underwhelmed.
I also tried some self energising? (Suntour maybe?) Brakes on a 'normal' galaxy but they weren't a great improvement.
TBH it's probably my only concern.
Mini-V's with drop bar levers are very sub optimal, its a bodge to get around the different pull ratios.

On the assumption your target has Canti's then Shimano BR CX50's as a modern replacement are absolute mustard and reasonably straight forward to set up. My preference on the front is to use an up hanger rather than the old stem mount - which are susceptible to brake judder with the longer drop of cable. That may be easier than fitting long drop calipers and being left with the canti pegs looking odd.
should be in stock somewhere

up hanger

Gunk

Guru
Mini-V's with drop bar levers are very sub optimal, its a bodge to get around the different pull ratios.

I beg to differ, on my Van Nicholas, I’m running TRP Mini V’s with Dura Ace levers and swisstop shoes. They stop pretty well if set up properly.

FDA7C88B-C790-40A6-BFC2-D6ABA1929D4D.jpeg

CC284B00-9551-4F0C-85D0-1A00EAE6C973.jpeg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I beg to differ, on my Van Nicholas, I’m running TRP Mini V’s with Dura Ace levers and swisstop shoes. They stop pretty well if set up properly.

View attachment 608441

View attachment 608442
No you are not running mini Vee's - what you have pictured are Canti's, I applaud you on your wise choice.:okay:

Mini Vee's are these : MTB rim brakes (before they all went disc) but with less leverage to get around the different pull ratio's of brifters to direct pull flat bar levers.

1631259066371.png

Punkawallah

Über Member
OP - nothing wrong with ‘sympathetically’ upgrading an old frame - you keep a bike long enough, parts get replaced. And it gets difficult (and expensive) to replace like with like as the frame gets older.

Just avoid the ‘mutton dressed as lamb’ look and it will work fine :-)

Scotstounman

Über Member

On the assumption your target has Canti's then Shimano BR CX50's as a modern replacement are absolute mustard and reasonably straight forward to set up. My preference on the front is to use an up hanger rather than the old stem mount - which are susceptible to brake judder with the longer drop of cable. That may be easier than fitting long drop calipers and being left with the canti pegs looking odd.
should be in stock somewhere

up hanger
Interesting to see the choices available to upgrade the canti brakes on a Galaxy. When I undertook the refurb of a Super Galaxy last year I followed a number of suggestions to change from the original cantis to Tektro 926 AL mini Vees paired with Tektro RL520 brake levers. I found their pull ratios worked well and was happy with the stopping power. The main drawback I think was the ability to fit larger tyres and mudguards than the 700c x 32s which I have fitted. Retaining cantis would certainly overcome this constraint. The pictures below show the set-up. Adjustable guide pipes (noodles) enable the brake clearance to be easily adjusted.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
As you have bar end shifters, you aren't constrained to "brifter" brakes, so you have paired RL520 levers which have a linear pull (like flat bar / MTB levers) to Mini V's. You could actually fit regular V brakes with this set up. V brake leverspull about double the cable length of caliper brake levers

if you switched back to Canti's you'd need to get some regular drop bar levers that pull for caliper /centre pull brakes. Mini V's are actually designed for this sorter pull ratio, which is why they are sometime used instead of canti's (but to me they don't work as well as Canti's in this set up as the tolerances are very fine). They will of course work with your set up, but I imagine they come on quite quickly?

I don't think you will get anymore tyre clearance with Canti's than your present Mini' V's (unless you are constrained by the brake wire height wise) and certainly no more clearance regular V brakes, which are compatible with your RL520 levers will give you as much clearance. That would be my recommendation for your Galaxy given you have RL520 levers and barcon's already in place.

useful link on lever to brake compatibility

Scotstounman

Über Member
@T4tomo, thanks for your comments and the link to the lever/brake compatibility page. I think based on your input I’ll get a pair of “normal” Vees as, as you have pointed out, the cable pull on these is compatible with the levers I have. They will also have more clearance between mudguard and cable yoke so allowing a bigger tyre to be fitted. Although the mini-vees fitted feel ok, that could be deceptive as the mechanical advantage of these brake is half that of the “normal” Vees. It would be a shame to discover the limitations of this combination on a wet day with a heavily laden bike going down a steep hill! I’ve given the subject bike to my brother-in-law so I’d better crack on and do the mod.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Very interesting posts as to how braking has been improved. I thought I'd have to replace centre pulls on one bike- after reading horror stories - but the reality was fine. The fitted Kool Stops helped, and the clearance for tyres and mudguards is good. I couldn't get along with the original Weinmann levers and fitted more comfortable replacements.

In my view, underrated and powerful brakes with a classic aesthetic.

Shack

Very interesting posts as to how braking has been improved. I thought I'd have to replace centre pulls on one bike- after reading horror stories - but the reality was fine. The fitted Kool Stops helped, and the clearance for tyres and mudguards is good. I couldn't get along with the original Weinmann levers and fitted more comfortable replacements.

View attachment 623938
View attachment 623940

In my view, underrated and powerful brakes with a classic aesthetic.
I think I will have to put my weinmann centrepulls back on, I've never been completely happy with the 'modern' side pull. Great looking mudguards

Some things would have replaced naturally over time . I fitted a cotter less TA ally double clanger to my 70's Holdsworth Record in the 80's as I found the original steel single crank to be too low geared . To me it was a natural improvement being light , offering different gear ratios and also looking good . In those days the idea of maintaining a bike in original condition wasn't important . I think the tyres may be from the 70's. :ohmy:
I am at the moment working on a late 70's Falcon Professional frame . Trying to find out what model it is and what equipment it would have had is being a pain . It could be that it was bought as a frame only or built to a customer's spec is also possible . The frame came with some Weinmann gold anodised type 500 side pull brakes which might be the originals. I don't know . I may fit them , I haven't decided yet . I might go for some later Campag dual pivot brakes along with chain set and rear mech , it is still to be decided yet but that is the way I am going at the moment .
As I have said people might have started off with a basic bike in the first place and as time and money allowed bought components to upgrade or to replace worn out parts , so to find completely original bikes will be difficult .

Top Bottom