Classics Graveyard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Morris Oxford/Austin Cambridge

View attachment 530341
The dad of a girlfriend from many moons ago had one of these, and I used to take her for driving lessons in it. Loved the headlight dimmer switch on the floor, tucked away over on the left. Amazed that got fazed out. Also back then I had an old mini, and was often down the local scrap yard for parts - there was a whole stack of them to rummage through. The fellas running it got wise to folk putting parts in their toolboxes, so they were banned. Small parts were then stuffed into pockets or down socks. One time I needed a carb, so threw it over the fence and picked it up later. Them were the days :laugh:

I've just got back from taking daughter & her b/f. to a classic car scrapyard/salvage/sales
Boy!!, I know how to treat her!!

The whire MGB-GT that I've previously featured belongs to him, & it needs a spare wire-wheel, so we went on the 'off-chance'

Balby Motor Spares
Greenfield Lane
Balby
(basically the other side of the railway from Hexthorpe)

What a great place!!!:okay::okay:

This was the first thing I spotted
Possibly an AEC MIlitant?

View attachment 530340

EDIT @ 20:05

The yard is at the other side of this bridge; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/325385
I'm inclined to think Albion now
https://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p208332838/h37cd1f20#h37cd1f20

The dad of a girlfriend from many moons ago had one of these, and I used to take her for driving lessons in it. Loved the headlight dimmer switch on the floor, tucked away over on the left. Amazed that got fazed out. Also back then I had an old mini, and was often down the local scrap yard for parts - there was a whole stack of them to rummage through. The fellas running it got wise to folk putting parts in their toolboxes, so they were banned. Small parts were then stuffed into pockets or down socks. One time I needed a carb, so threw it over the fence and picked it up later. Them were the days :laugh:

A Cambridge was the first car my father owned, I'd have been about 9-10 (74)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A mates Honda Civic (the old one) needed a new gearbox so we sourced one from a scrapyard, the bloke was a total 'james' so I nicked the starter motor by putting a couple of the bolts through where it attached to the bell housing and carrying the lot out. :becool:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Theres a chap in the village with a Dolomite Sprint in his front garden. Hes been saying for years that hes going to restore it, but the lazy git will never do so now as it's barely one step up from a pile of rust powder. Why do people do that?

@Illaveago :whistle:

A friend of mine planted one in a tree one night on the way home after clubbing and he made us walk home due to the fact of it being totally smashed :laugh:

Proto

Legendary Member
Ambling around some woods near our house I stumbled over a long abandoned garage. No obvious signs of a path too it, long overgrown. Garage had collapsed on the remains of what I believe to be a BMW 5 series, early 70’s, (?)

Fifty metres away was another, completely covered in vegetation. a bit weird.

Proto

Legendary Member
Thinking on this a bit more, could this be my dad’s long lost old car? 😀😀

He got his first XJ6 - maroon, 2.8 litre, dog slow - in, I think, 1970. I thought it fantastic, the dog’s bollocks.

He used to change cars every two years, and so not long afterwards we had a pale yellow Volvo 164, arguably a better car but it just didn’t have the cachet of the Jag, so two years later it was another XJ6, a Series 2 LWB 4.2 in Fern Green. lovely car ruined by Lucas electrics!

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thinking on this a bit more, could this be my dad’s long lost old car? 😀😀

He got his first XJ6 - maroon, 2.8 litre, dog slow - in, I think, 1970. I thought it fantastic, the dog’s bollocks.

He used to change cars every two years, and so not long afterwards we had a pale yellow Volvo 164, arguably a better car but it just didn’t have the cachet of the Jag, so two years later it was another XJ6, a Series 2 LWB 4.2 in Fern Green. lovely car ruined by Lucas electrics!
Aye, George Lucas, 'Prince of Darkness'

Top Bottom