Claud Butler Classique paint removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funk2monk

Well after a bit of persuasion I managed to acquire this bike and have brought it home. It all looks pretty good with nice Campagnolo Gran Sport and GB brakes and stem.
However as someone implied it’s been resprayed and not very well. The original decals outlines are visible under the paint and having done some research not available anymore. Is there any way I can remove the paint to expose the original paint and decals? I know it won’t look perfect but it will have patina.
You can see the word Claud and the Olympic Rings also.

Attachments

• BA837FEA-EB2D-4553-93D0-FA902052ECB7.jpeg
    BA837FEA-EB2D-4553-93D0-FA902052ECB7.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 6
  • C43A3A4F-606D-4EE2-849D-3BDA951A9A84.jpeg
    C43A3A4F-606D-4EE2-849D-3BDA951A9A84.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 7
You could try some white spirit first and then cellulose thinners if the first doesn't work. First of all try it where it won't notice too much if it takes off the original paint . You may be able to put some on with a small brush to soften the new paint and wipe it off immediately with a rag.
I had an old frame which had been sprayed twice . Black and finally blue . I succeeded in washing all of that paint off to find the original light blue metallic and white panels underneath using cellulose thinners . It has revealed a strange colour scheme for that make of bike .

OP
OP
funk2monk

funk2monk

You could try some white spirit first and then cellulose thinners if the first doesn't work. First of all try it where it won't notice too much if it takes off the original paint . You may be able to put some on with a small brush to soften the new paint and wipe it off immediately with a rag.
I had an old frame which had been sprayed twice . Black and finally blue . I succeeded in washing all of that paint off to find the original light blue metallic and white panels underneath using cellulose thinners . It has revealed a strange colour scheme for that make of bike .

Thank you for your suggestions. Will get necessary items and try next week. Hopefully it’s not a good re-spray and it comes off with a little persuasion.
Will keep you all posted.

OP
OP
funk2monk

funk2monk

Thanks for the tips, I will try the white spirit first and see how this reacts with the paint. My only thought is this has been resprayed for a reason as its the same colour so not sure what i will find underneath. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Top Bottom